Fuel Tank DIY - throwing the kitchen sink at it (literally)

A general forum and a place for initial or prospective users. See Manuals/Documentation
Click here to enter
Contact a Forum Administrator
If unsure where to post, post in this sub-forum.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

Healey3000
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Fuel Tank DIY - throwing the kitchen sink at it (literally)

Post by Healey3000 »

Hi,

I've been looking at fuel tank designs for an EFI system and the range of options is somewhat limited for obscure vehicles. Pondering the requirements, I had an idea that I suspect must be flawed, given its simplicity. Seeking opinions from the Collective as anything to do with flammable liquids isn't to be taken lightly.

Stainless steel kitchen sinks come in a variety of sizes and shapes. You can find used, under-mount sinks for a very low price. Why not adapt one for use as a fuel tank? The general idea is to take a sink that usually has a small flange and weld a flat plate over the opening. Of course, this plate would have openings to attach all the required bits, such as a sender, pump module, roll-over valve, vent, filler, etc. Weld the drain opening shut or add a sump there for the fuel pump to sit in. Weld in baffles if needed to the sink.

For safety, attach a second plate under the sink and bolt it to the top plate.

What's wrong with this decidedly Rube Goldberg approach other than the mixing of kitchens and automobiles? The cost of the top plate could be high but perhaps not, if sourced cleverly.
billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Fuel Tank DIY - throwing the kitchen sink at it (literal

Post by billr »

How about using two sinks, avoiding the cost of getting a sheet. Two of them, joined at the flange like a belly-band, would probably have a better volume for a fuel tank
Healey3000
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by Healey3000 »

billr wrote:How about using two sinks, avoiding the cost of getting a sheet. Two of them, joined at the flange like a belly-band, would probably have a better volume for a fuel tank
I had considered that but it may be difficult to attach the fittings; too thin. One could weld in thicker flanges, I suppose.
kjones6039
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by kjones6039 »

I like the way Bill thinks! I have always been a big Rube Goldberg fan!!! :lol:

Seriously, (something unusual for me) I also thought that 2 sinks might be just the ticket!

Ken
1979 Corvette - 383 CID SBC w/ Holley Pro-Jection 900 CFM TBI, 4-85 lb lo-z injectors & Walbro 255 pump
MS2 v3 w/extra 3.4.2 Release
36-1, Delphi LS2/7 coils in wasted spark, driven by v2.0 logic board from JBPerformance
Spartan Lambda Sensor from 14point7
TinyIOX from JBPerformance
Sam280Z
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by Sam280Z »

I've seen this done before. Wish I had taken a picture. From what I remember, the guy had cut a 2 basin sink in half. He welded the 2 halfs together. He welded plates over the drains to attach the fill and other fittings.

Sam

Datsun 280Z
ITB
Turbo
MS3 + MS3X
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

I think one of the cars at the Grassroots Motorsports $2013 Challenge - the Civic that was impersonating a Subaru - used a kitchen sink fuel tank.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X