MS2 vs MS3

A general forum and a place for initial or prospective users. See Manuals/Documentation
Click here to enter
Contact a Forum Administrator
If unsure where to post, post in this sub-forum.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

luxmoggy
MS/Extra Newbie

MS2 vs MS3

Post by luxmoggy »

Hello,
I am getting closer to refitting the engine in my car. I have my list of MegaSquirt bit and pieces to buy. From all the reading and checking I have done, the MS2 does all I want but I keep coming back to one question should I get the MS3 as it is newer.

Comparing the features (without the MS3X card - not worth it for this engine) only the USB and SD Card are different. So is the MS3 worth the extra cash over the MS2.

The engine is from an XJ6 Series 3 4.2 from 84. This had fuel injection.
Regrds,
Iain
http://joebloggs.no-ip.org/
billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: MS2 vs MS3

Post by billr »

I say go for the MS3. Sooner or later I think you will want some of the MS3 (and MS3X) features. The MS3 is only about $100 more, right? That is going to be trivial in the over-all costs of the project, not even considering that the general Jag stuff you are basing this on isn't known for being inexpensive.
Hey_Allen
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Hey_Allen »

Even without the MS3x card, there is a lot of added functionality with the faster processor of the MS3.
Josh
-greasy fingered tinkerer
elutionsdesign
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by elutionsdesign »

MS3 has far more I/O and if you're getting into aftermarket ECU's for the first time you'll find out how many things the ECU can do with lots of inputs and outputs. The firmware is also far more advanced and is intended to be that way as the MS3 is positioned as the premium product.
Graduate of EFI University.

I build, repair, install and tune Megasquirt systems in North Dakota and beyond!