Need Help Misfire under load (w/boost) with MS2 and EDIS 8

A general forum and a place for initial or prospective users. See Manuals/Documentation
Click here to enter
Contact a Forum Administrator
If unsure where to post, post in this sub-forum.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

undfetd
MS/Extra Newbie

Need Help Misfire under load (w/boost) with MS2 and EDIS 8

Post by undfetd »

Hello,
I am new on the forum, but not to Megasquirt. I have a build consisting of a Ford 4.6L, 4 valve V-8 motor with a TT set-up, using the factory COP ignition with an MS2 and an EDIS 8. The car runs perfect at all points except under WOT and heavy load (ocurring between 5-7K RPM) at around 17-20 psi. The car will surge and pop strongly/ "breaking up" baddly as if it were running out of fuel or spark, causing the blow off valves to vent aggressively. I have tried different EDIS 8 modules, and put on all new coils, with no real improvement. The MS2 AFR is where I command it and so is the ignition timing. The only thing that seems to have helped is gapping my NGK TR7 plugs down to .018", but still breaks up intermittently under load. I am using a shielded cable for PIP and SAW wires, and all grounds seem to be solid. I resently tied in an MSD boost a spark box in-line to the coil supply wires with no improvement. Any trouble shooting suggestions or different settings to use with the EDIS 8 would be appreciated, I am at my wit's end.

Thank You,
Sergio
DaveEFI
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Need Help Misfire under load (w/boost) with MS2 and EDIS

Post by DaveEFI »

Is the EDIS8 driving COP the factory setup?
Rover SD1 3.5 EFI
MS2 V3
EDIS
Tech Edge O2
London UK.
undfetd
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by undfetd »

Yes, the EDIS 8 is running the COPs.
elutionsdesign
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by elutionsdesign »

Well, since dropping the plug gap helped I'd follow that line of thinking and increase the coil dwell. Except you don't have control of that, EDIS does. So to provide another level of tuning I'd get rid of the EDIS module and pick up two QuadSpark coil drivers from DIYautotune, then modify your MS2 for four ignition outputs. Wire it for wasted spark like the EDIS was doing but now you have control of the coils. You can still run your boost-a-spark if you think its helping.
Graduate of EFI University.

I build, repair, install and tune Megasquirt systems in North Dakota and beyond!
DaveEFI
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by DaveEFI »

Seems odd that's needed if if the EDIS8 module/COP was what the factory fitted?
Rover SD1 3.5 EFI
MS2 V3
EDIS
Tech Edge O2
London UK.
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Post by jsmcortina »

DaveEFI wrote:Seems odd that's needed if if the EDIS8 module/COP was what the factory fitted?
As far as I'm aware, there are no factory EDIS8/COP installs. The way I read the original post is that OEM COPs were used with an MS2 and an EDIS8 module (from a different vehicle.)

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

jsmcortina wrote: As far as I'm aware, there are no factory EDIS8/COP installs. The way I read the original post is that OEM COPs were used with an MS2 and an EDIS8 module (from a different vehicle.)

James
That's how I read it too. Are the coils wired in parallel or series?
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
ol boy
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by ol boy »

This guy is having the same issue.
http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba ... l-settings

Found an other forum post where if wiring the coils in parallel will burn up the EDIS8 module and running them in series will cause weakish spark.

Ditching the EDIS 8 module and building an 8 coil driver board with the right waste spark firing order will be your best bet. You will loose some IO though as you will need Js10, D14,D15,D16 for spark outputs.
306 SBFord, Torquer II EFI intake, 60 lbs injectors, 8 LS2 coils, VS Racing 7668 turbo, 4R70W, MS3x fw1.4 w/built in trans controller.
DaveEFI
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by DaveEFI »

jsmcortina wrote:
DaveEFI wrote:Seems odd that's needed if if the EDIS8 module/COP was what the factory fitted?
As far as I'm aware, there are no factory EDIS8/COP installs. The way I read the original post is that OEM COPs were used with an MS2 and an EDIS8 module (from a different vehicle.)

James
Ah - that's why I asked. I'd never heard of EDIS using COP. But of course it could work ok if the 2 COP are identical to a single EDIS coil.
Rover SD1 3.5 EFI
MS2 V3
EDIS
Tech Edge O2
London UK.
undfetd
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by undfetd »

elutionsdesign wrote:Well, since dropping the plug gap helped I'd follow that line of thinking and increase the coil dwell. Except you don't have control of that, EDIS does. So to provide another level of tuning I'd get rid of the EDIS module and pick up two QuadSpark coil drivers from DIYautotune, then modify your MS2 for four ignition outputs. Wire it for wasted spark like the EDIS was doing but now you have control of the coils. You can still run your boost-a-spark if you think its helping.
Thank you for the response, this is what I was trying to figure out. I also don't have any experiense w/ MS 3, I was told the MS 3 could run the COPs without the drivers. Is this true? If so would it be less wiring work or more economical this way? Or stick to the quad spark mod to the MS 2?
undfetd
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by undfetd »

Matt Cramer wrote:
jsmcortina wrote: As far as I'm aware, there are no factory EDIS8/COP installs. The way I read the original post is that OEM COPs were used with an MS2 and an EDIS8 module (from a different vehicle.)

James
That's how I read it too. Are the coils wired in parallel or series?
This is correct. I am using the EDIS 8, from a 96' Ford (OEM used with (2) 4-output coil packs) on an 03 Ford Cobra/ terminator COP motor.
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Post by jsmcortina »

MS3 needs a driver for high-current coils. So you still need drivers either way. MS3 would allow you to run them fully sequential if you add a cam sensor.

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".
undfetd
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by undfetd »

ol boy wrote:This guy is having the same issue.
http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba ... l-settings

Found an other forum post where if wiring the coils in parallel will burn up the EDIS8 module and running them in series will cause weakish spark.

Ditching the EDIS 8 module and building an 8 coil driver board with the right waste spark firing order will be your best bet. You will loose some IO though as you will need Js10, D14,D15,D16 for spark outputs.
Great info in that article. Thank you. And I do run them in a series, so that may further explain my problem. The way I have it now may work for n.a. applcations, but not for forced induction.
undfetd
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by undfetd »

jsmcortina wrote:MS3 needs a driver for high-current coils. So you still need drivers either way. MS3 would allow you to run them fully sequential if you add a cam sensor.

James
Thanks James, that is very helpful. How many outputs will the two drivers I need require? I'm currently all used up, is my MS 2 capable of further output slot expansion? If so what part would I need?

Thank you.
Sergio
DaveEFI
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by DaveEFI »

I'd either change to EDIS coils with the EDIS 8 driver, or change to MS drivers with your COP. The latter allows you to adjust the dwell etc, which EDIS doesn't.
Rover SD1 3.5 EFI
MS2 V3
EDIS
Tech Edge O2
London UK.
dontz125
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by dontz125 »

undfetd wrote:Thanks James, that is very helpful. How many outputs will the two drivers I need require? I'm currently all used up, is my MS 2 capable of further output slot expansion? If so what part would I need?
To fire 8 cylinders in wasted spark, you'll need 4 channels - D14, D16, D15, and JS11. What other circuitry beyond that will be determined by your COP selection, whether logic or dumb (high-current). Since you are using JS10 for EDIS, that will be freed up. If those pins are already in use for other functions, you may want to consider a Tiny-IOx by jbperf.

Note that you'll also need to rewire your TachSelect and TSel to use the VR components, as the MS will now be reading the 36-1 wheel directly.
Temporarily shut down - back soon!
QuadraMAP Sensor Module -- PWM-to-Stepper Controller -- Dual Coil Driver
Coming soon: OctoMAP Sensor Module
TTR Ignition Systems