Help choosing version of MS. BMW 2002

A general forum and a place for initial or prospective users. See Manuals/Documentation
Click here to enter
Contact a Forum Administrator
If unsure where to post, post in this sub-forum.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

remout
MS/Extra Newbie

Help choosing version of MS. BMW 2002

Post by remout »

I've built my own boards for hobby stuff, Arduino and the like. I'm a bit familiar with ECU tuning, we have a BMW E36 road racer that we converted to a Motec system.

My car is a 1976 BMW 2002. I want to do a ITB conversion with electronic ignition. I will have a 36:1 trigger wheel and pickup. I think my requirements are:

Control ignition. I guess this means send the dwell to a EDIS box? Or does MS eliminate the need for EDIS?
Fuel pump relays (I guess this is a separate board of relays from the MS?)
Widband Lambda
Control injectors on ITBs
Perhaps a knock sensor? I'd like to maximize compression ratio but limit my fuel to regular unleaded. I don't know much about knock sensors, we're just getting into that on the Motec.

Our company builds boards that go in tough environments, heat and vibration, so building the board myself should be doable.

Please recommend a MS model/version.

Many thanks!
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Help choosing version of MS. BMW 2002

Post by racingmini_mtl »

If you want to build your own board, you only have 2 choices: the Microsquirt module or the MS3-Pro module. You'll have to check the features for each to see which one meets your needs the best.

Jean
jbperf.com Main site . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . jbperf.com Forum
elaw
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by elaw »

Just to clarify a little, what Jean's talking about is creating your own "mainboard" from scratch, which would have power supply and interface circuitry. One of the modules he mentions would then plug into that board.

If you're thinking a little less hardcore and just want to assemble a kit (meaning the vendor supplies a bare board and parts and you solder them on), an MS3 kit with a v3.0 mainboard, MS3X card, and knock sensor module would do the trick.
Eric Law
1990 Audi 80 quattro with AAN turbo engine: happily running on MS3+MS3X
2012 Audi A4 quattro, desperately in need of tweaking

Be alert! America needs more lerts.
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by racingmini_mtl »

Correct. I may have misunderstood what was meant by "build" in this case.

Jean
jbperf.com Main site . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . jbperf.com Forum
dontz125
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by dontz125 »

EDIS really isn't needed with the MS, and actually removes some options. WBO2 requires an external controller, and cannot be connected directly to the MS. The Spartan Lambda Controller has the entire control circuitry in the mating connector, and is the smallest unit available. Knock sensing also requires a discrete controller; the MS3 has an add-on board that allows you to bring two knock sensor signals directly to the MS box. The MS3-Pro and MS3-Pro Module have this module included in their designs.
Temporarily shut down - back soon!
QuadraMAP Sensor Module -- PWM-to-Stepper Controller -- Dual Coil Driver
Coming soon: OctoMAP Sensor Module
TTR Ignition Systems
remout
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by remout »

Let me see if I've got this correct:

MS3 or PRO version. With MS3, I can solder it up but would also need an add on board for knock sensing.
External LAMBDA controller

If not using EDIS, what are the options for coils?
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Post by jsmcortina »

The MS3 Hardware manuals list some of the coil options.

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".