'IT LIVES' - No RPM signal VR sensor

A general forum and a place for initial or prospective users. See Manuals/Documentation
Click here to enter
Contact a Forum Administrator
If unsure where to post, post in this sub-forum.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

Camo
Helpful MS/Extra'er

'IT LIVES' - No RPM signal VR sensor

Post by Camo »

Hi all,

just testing to see if I understand how to post a copy of my tune. If it works, then I can go about asking for help.

Briefly I have a1961 VW Beetle, have built a stroker motor and obviously fitted EFI and a turbo. Just now loading the ECU with data to try and get the thing running :o
Kevs VW.msq
2014-12-08_14.22.59.csv

Hope it works, Kev

EDIT: Also having issues as no rpm signal.
Last edited by Camo on Sun Dec 14, 2014 1:52 am, edited 4 times in total.
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Test Only

Post by Matt Cramer »

Looks like it.

The composite log is a special purpose log for RPM input troubleshooting.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
Camo
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Camo »

Thanks Matt,

I actually have no RPM, so if you can understand that information and can see the problem I would greatly appreciate some help.

Thanks, Kevin
slow_hemi6
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by slow_hemi6 »

Seems to be a lot of cam triggers there. Can you describe the cam sensor hardware?
Find the Manuals up top under Quick links: Manuals. :RTFM:
Cheers Luke
billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by billr »

What kind of crank sensor, VR or Hall? What is the air-gap between the crank wheel teeth and sensor? A "tooth log" may also help.
Camo
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Camo »

Hi All,

just about to step out the door to go to work :cry:

If you look at this link you will see a photo of my cam sensor and I think the air gap was 15-25 thou for the crank sensor.

http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 31&t=55661

I would love to stay here and try and work this out thank you, but work calls. Will try to update more information tonight.

Thanks for your input,

Regards, Kev
Camo
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Re: Test Only - No RPM signal VR sensor

Post by Camo »

Have been reading the forums re no RPM signal for hours now and am none the wiser for it.

About to hit the sack, but thought I would post a couple of quick photos of my car. Was stock when I bought her about 7 years ago and am finally near my original goal of having it EFI & Turbo powered.
IMG_1298.jpg
IMG_3010.jpg

Kev
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

The tune file is set up for a 36-1 crank wheel and a 1 tooth cam wheel, but I'm only seeing two crank pulses for every cam pulse. I would first check the sensor gap on the crankshaft position sensor.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
Camo
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Camo »

Thanks again Matt,

Is it possible that the gap can be too small. The supplier quote 15 thou or 0.381mm, is this too small ???

Will try to look tonight after work.

Cheers, Kev
billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by billr »

Post some some pix of the trigger wheel and sensor. What is the make/model of the sensor (my perception is it is not one from DIY).
Camo
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Camo »

Hi billr,

Here is a link to the crank sensor kit https://vwspeedshop.com/product.php?pro ... 507&page=1

and this is the assembly guide that shows a close up of sensor (3/4 down page) but I can not tell you a brand sorry http://vwspeedshop.com/em/enginemanagement.html

Will try to have a look tonight when I get home.

Thanks everyone for your help :D

I couldn't work out how to do this via TS but here is a photo I took of the Cam and Crank signals. Does this tell you anything more. It looks to me that every two cycles of crank there is 1 cycle of cam, but I still have no rpm signal.
Copy of IMG_1538.jpg
Kev
billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by billr »

I see an obvious problem with that wheel and sensor arrangement, it's good that you posted the pix. The sensor is at an angle, kind of pointing towards one edge of the wheel! Even if the air-gap is reduced to near-zero. the bulk of the wheel is some distance from the sensor and presents a much-reduced "target". If the edge of the wheel that is closest to the sensor was machined with and angle or "chamfer" that matched the angle of the sensor, it would probably be fine. You asked before - a "too small" air-gap will not cause a problem, usually want the smallest gap possible without any fear of the sensor and wheel hitting. Run-out of the wheel is usually the limiting factor, as engine main-bearings have to have clearances of just a couple thousands of an inch.
Camo
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Camo »

G'day billr,

This photo may answer your queries re the VR sensor and mating surface.

Also, if I am getting crank and cam signal, why no rpm. I've been reading the forums etc and cant work it out.

Last night I took the top cover off ECU and played with R11 & R32. R11 C/C/W and the then 3 C/W turns gives about 2.5v, I read here http://m54megasquirt3.blogspot.com.au/2 ... tment.html that it should be adjust so its putting out 2v but didn't make any difference (I don't think).

Does the tacho on TS gauge display have anything to with your tacho output from the MS.

Ta, Kev
Copy of IMG_0304.jpg
slow_hemi6
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by slow_hemi6 »

Currently you can see that you get a cam every 2ish crank triggers on the log. You are only meant to get one cam per 720 degrees crank so the Cam trace is actually indicating a cranking rpm of 176 but if you look at the crank trace it is indicating (given it's expecting 36-1 triggers per revolution) it's cranking at 5 rpm. I would suspect if Cam is correct you should be seeing about 9.5mS between crank triggers not 335mS.
Cheers Luke
billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by billr »

Okay, that last picture shows the sensor and wheel angle should be fine. Try reducing the air gap down to .010" or a bit less. If you put an AC voltmeter across the CKP sensor leads, with them disconnected from all else, what kind of (AC) voltage do you get while cranking? Reconnect the sensor and repeat that test at the MS DB37 pins... post results.
old guy
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by old guy »

I could be wrong , but it looks like the only time it is getting a pulse is when the missing tooth area is passing the sensor.Almost like the gaps in the wheel aren't wide enough or the sensor face is too wide.
How wide is the pole piece on the sensor compared to the gaps in the trigger wheel. Maybe try increasing the gap instead of narrowing it.
The reason you are seeing no rpm is because the the ecu is expecting to see 1 cam pulse for every two crank revolutions and 35 pulses then a 1 tooth gap for every 1 crank revolution and you are only sending one.
When you hook an ac voltmeter on a low scale to the vr sensor and turn the engine over by hand you should see a voltage swing each time a tooth passes the sensor. If you only see a swing when it passes the missing tooth gap there is something wrong in your trigger wheel setup.
The only thing that is puzzling, is that this setup comes as a matched kit so it should work.
As I said before could be wrong, but something to investigate.
Camo
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Camo »

You are all Gentlemen and I appreciate your help.

It's Friday night here and I will have a go at all your suggestions on the weekend and get back to you.

slow_hemi6 & Matt Cramer you both said something about my crank only getting two crank triggers and I was taking this is correct for 2 revolutions, but now after also reading 'old guy' comments I think you mean that I should be getting 35 triggers every revolution of crank. If this is the case I fully understand why my engine is confused :oops: So I should be getting 70 crank triggers to every 1 cam trigger.

So am I thinking right, now.

Thank you, Kev
slow_hemi6
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by slow_hemi6 »

Correct.
Cheers Luke
Camo
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Camo »

OK, I have reduced the gap to 0.010" and now have rpm signal :yeah!:

I'm hoping it is just a case of playing with trim pots now.

Will report back again soon.

Also used test mode and have spark at all 4 (cop) coils, but no spark when trying to start. More reading needed.

2014-12-13_11.35.51.csv
2014-12-13_11.47.08.csv
This is the last logging, still losing sync (I think).
2014-12-13_13.58.25.csv

Cheers, Kev
Camo
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Re: No RPM signal VR sensor - Nearly fixed

Post by Camo »

Hi all,

thanks to the input of you all, I have managed to get the engine running. Was still having issues with crank trigger, with only about 60 or so crank trigger to one cam trigger. I ended up reducing the gap down to 0.010" unlike the 0.025' that the supplier suggested. Played around with the VR pots and she fired up.

Here is a quick video, although it is running very rich.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TiYvf67 ... e=youtu.be

Thanks again, Kev