Which Megasquirt I or II? Fuel only on a Supercharged 350 V8

A general forum and a place for initial or prospective users. See Manuals/Documentation
Click here to enter
Contact a Forum Administrator
If unsure where to post, post in this sub-forum.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

disjaukifa
MS/Extra Newbie

Which Megasquirt I or II? Fuel only on a Supercharged 350 V8

Post by disjaukifa »

Hey Guys,

First I want to say though I have never done megasquirt before, I have a background in programming and experience in soldering/electronics. Also I have been working on cars for over 10 years now, having built 1 engine and rebuilt several others, though nothing really performance related, just daily drivers. I will be buying the un-assembled kits and building it myself, which I'm not concerned about doing at all. Another hobby of mine is fixing broken Arcade machines, but that is a different story entirely.

For the car. I picked this up earlier this month in trade. Its a 1983 Chevrolet Camaro with a Weiand 144 Supercharger and a 350 V8 with a cam, T5 5-speed manual transmission and 4:10 rear gears with disc brakes on each corner. It comes with a 750 cfm double pumper carb and honestly that is about as much as I know. I have no idea what the cam is so that is going to be making this entire adventure even more interesting!

I also have a parts 1987 IROC Camaro that I picked up as well for the grand total sum of $300 bucks with no motor or transmission, but it still had the performance suspension (very nice springs and height adjustable shocks), complete exhaust (with 02 sensor), 3:55 LSD and other bits and pieces I want for the 83 Z28.

I won tonight on fleebay a Holley 950 CFM TBI that will bolt to my Weiand 144 supercharger with a wiring harness and Holley computer, though it looks to be incomplete, really I just wanted the 4150 TBI that was 950 CFM, and I got it on the cheap.

My question sense I plan on making this a fuel only ECU, and keep it on the cheap, will the Megasquirt I work with a supercharged 350 V8, or should I go ahead and foot the bill for the Megasquirt II?

Any information or suggestion would be highly appreciated!!!

Thanks
Grant
elutionsdesign
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Which Megasquirt I or II? Fuel only on a Supercharged 35

Post by elutionsdesign »

MS1 will do everything you need, if you want something that can expand in the future go MS2 or 3.
Graduate of EFI University.

I build, repair, install and tune Megasquirt systems in North Dakota and beyond!
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

MS1 will work, but I find MS2 easier to set up and tune even if you aren't doing anything particularly advanced with it.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by billr »

Isn't there only about $200 difference between the lowest-level MS1 and good-as-it-gets (for now) MS3? I think that is going to be a trivial cost in the over-all scope of this project. If you already had a good MS2 or MS2 it might make sense to go ahead and use that, but buying new? No, go with MS3. You may not want all the MS3 features now, but I expect you will before you are through, especially since this engine is "boosted".
muythaibxr
Site Admin

Post by muythaibxr »

MS1 was good for what it was, but I have lost count of the number of times I have heard how much better engines run with ms2. I have heard a number of times how much better engines on ms3 run compared to ms2 as well. So I would recommend MS3, then MS2 in that order. I would not consider MS1 for my own projects.
Megasquirt is not for use on pollution controlled vehicles. Any advice I give is for off road use only.
elutionsdesign
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by elutionsdesign »

I would not consider MS1 for my own projects.
I second that.
Graduate of EFI University.

I build, repair, install and tune Megasquirt systems in North Dakota and beyond!
disjaukifa
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by disjaukifa »

Thank you for all the responses, sounds like I'm going to go with MS2 for the moment mainly because of cost and I just need fuel delivery at the moment. Also it sounds like it would be fairly easy to upgrade from a Megasquirt II ECU to a Megasquirt III ECU.

Also how big of a problem is it going to be for me not knowing what type of cam is currently in the motor in terms of tuning the engine?

Thanks
Grant
muythaibxr
Site Admin

Post by muythaibxr »

Once you get it running you mostly tune by feel and/or AFR and other observations so I wouldn't think it would be a problem provided it worked before squirting it.
Megasquirt is not for use on pollution controlled vehicles. Any advice I give is for off road use only.