Getting started advice.....please

A general forum and a place for initial or prospective users. See Manuals/Documentation
Click here to enter
Contact a Forum Administrator
If unsure where to post, post in this sub-forum.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

Timbeer
MS/Extra Newbie

Getting started advice.....please

Post by Timbeer »

Hello all. I have been a long time lurker, but I'm a first time poster. I am looking for some advice and direction for my long term project.

I bought an DIY MS2 v3.0 a few years ago, and have it fully assembled and tested with my JimStim. When I bought the MS2 there wasn't yet an MS3 available.

Now, 2 kids later, move house, and a different project car, I'm ready to get back into the mix

I have a 91GT fox mustang, with a 351w based 408 currently being built. My ultimate goal is to run full sequential fuel, and coil on plug ignition. My dilemma is how to get there from here.

Do I....

A). Keep the MS2 , and run batch fuel, and connect spark to the factory ford TFI to get a brand new engine up and running before looking at an MS3/MS3x re-fit

B). Start with an MS3/MS3x and start with batch fuel, TFI ignition to get the engine run in and then change to seq fuel, and COP once I'm comfortable the engine is worn in.

C) some other sequence that I didn't describe?

Any advice or direction is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Tim
billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Getting started advice.....please

Post by billr »

Nobody else is chiming in, so I will offer suggestions...

1) Get the MS3 and MS3X now, so you won't have to make any future changes to the V3.0 mainboard or your wiring harness. The additional cost is only about $300, and I expect that is fairly minor in the overall scope of this project.

2) Fit the engine with a 36-1 or 60-2 crank wheel in lieu of the TFI stuff. With a missing-tooth wheel you can get it up-and-running as wasted-COP without any concerns about the cam sensing. Plus, I think the engine will start and keep on running even if you have it set to COP and the cam sensor goes bad.
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

My own take would be to use one of two progressions depending on how much funds you happen to have right now. The MS3 upgrade is pretty easy, no soldering required.

Low budget? Get the MS2 up and running on the TFI. Then upgrade to MS3 and sequential injection, and go to coil per plug and a crank trigger last.

Can spring for an MS3 right now? Then do so, and wire it for sequential injection and the factory TFI and get it running. Then when time allows, switch to a crank trigger and coil per plug. Advantage: Less rewiring required.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
Timbeer
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Timbeer »

Thank you Matt and billr for your responses. I was actually leaning towards buying a new MS3 DIY kit, with the MS3X card, and leaving my MS2 as-is. Two reasons, 1) I constructed the MS2 a few years ago, and added components at that time for Ford IAC, and a batch injection and spark. 2) It appears to be more cost effective to buy the MS3 DIY kit, than to buy the MS3 daughterboard, and new case, only to be left with a useless MS2 daughterboard. At least with a complete MS2, I could sell it, keep it for another project, steal the v3.0 board from it in the event of a failure.

As much as i'd like to go right to sequential fuel and COP (even in wasted mode), I really need to make sure I get this engine fired up and broken in without concerns, so that is leaning me towardnds Matt's suggestion. Possibly I can use billr's suggestion of wasted spark COP as an intermediary between TFI and sequential COP.

If i'm missing something, please let me know.

Thanks
Tim
Timbeer
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Timbeer »

I placed the order today for MS3 DIY kit , MS3X , and Jim Stim today. I'm looking forward to assembling another kit, and getting this engine up and running during the spring.

Thanks to billr and Matt for the responses.

I'm trying to convince my wife that Megameet 2015 would be a great road trip in October, I hope to meet everyone then.

Thanks
Tim