Where do I start for a big block Ford 520ci700hp

A general forum and a place for initial or prospective users. See Manuals/Documentation
Click here to enter
Contact a Forum Administrator
If unsure where to post, post in this sub-forum.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

aussiebaz
MS/Extra Newbie

Where do I start for a big block Ford 520ci700hp

Post by aussiebaz »

Hey guys,

I am the first to admit I know noting about mechanical stuff, but I am slowly learning. I have an engine builder mate of mine building me a 520Ci big block ford from a 460Ci block. New alloy heads and reasonable good gear inside. we are expecting 650 t0 700Hp once complete.

My mate has budgeted for a Carby to suit this engine but I am thinking about a tunable fuel injection system. so where do I start? can someone send me a complete shopping list of things to get?

If I can get it all together for around the same price as we have budgeted for the carby my engine guy will assemble and install it all for me but he has put it back to me to source everything.....he thinks it will be informative and educational for me.

Any help greatly appreciated.

cheers

Baz
slow_hemi6
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Where do I start for a big block Ford 520ci700hp

Post by slow_hemi6 »

To be honest with you, It will cost twice as much as a top notch carby for your BBF. Won't help with our ever sliding dollar either.....
Find the Manuals up top under Quick links: Manuals. :RTFM:
Cheers Luke
billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by billr »

If you use the carb, what are you going to use for ignition? Unless you use a junk-yard-stock dizzy, there will be more money in the ignition that could also go into the budget for MS.
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

First things are to figure out the following:

1. What sort of ignition system do you want to run?
2. Will you need any features beyond fuel and ignition control?

Sure, a MegaSquirt may be more expensive than a carb - but it can come in cheaper than a carb plus a bunch of black boxes for extra features.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
aussiebaz
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by aussiebaz »

Hey guys,
To answer your question Mat Cramer,

at the moment we have a near complete rebuilt block, new alloy heads and all the bolt on stuff, but I am willing to change whatever needs before we get to much further along if I can make it work. So please let me ask you;

1. What sort of ignition system do you recommend I run?
2. what if any features beyond fuel and ignition control will I need for a strong drag car which is sometimes driven on the road?

Cost is always a governing factor but I cant say how much is too much until I know what I am purchasing, sorry Guys I did say I am not very mechanical, all I have is questions so please feel free to offer advice and a parts list to match....please.

Cheers

Baz
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

aussiebaz wrote:Hey guys,
To answer your question Mat Cramer,

at the moment we have a near complete rebuilt block, new alloy heads and all the bolt on stuff, but I am willing to change whatever needs before we get to much further along if I can make it work. So please let me ask you;

1. What sort of ignition system do you recommend I run?
The best ignition system to use would be a 36-1 crank trigger with something like LS coils, Ford coil packs, or if money is no object, IGN-1A coils.

A distributor plus MSD box would be another option, either fired by a distributor trigger or a crank trigger.
2. what if any features beyond fuel and ignition control will I need for a strong drag car which is sometimes driven on the road?
Some possible features I can see being useful for drag racing with a naturally aspirated motor, and what MS variants can support them:

Launch control / 2 step (all versions)
Traction control (MS3)
Onboard data logging (MS3)
Burnout rev limiter (MS3)
Timed spark retard from launch (MS3)
Trans brake control (MS3)
Shift light (single point in MS1 and MS2, per-gear available in MS3)
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X