Help needed with new MS2 V3

A general forum and a place for initial or prospective users. See Manuals/Documentation
Click here to enter
Contact a Forum Administrator
If unsure where to post, post in this sub-forum.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

MXBen
MS/Extra Newbie

Help needed with new MS2 V3

Post by MXBen »

Hi all,

I've recently bought an MS2 ecu off ebay for my Mk1 Mazda MX5 Eunos 1.6 K reg ('92). The setup is currently standard with an original jackson racing m45 supercharger, highly retarded for safety reasons etc. I've bought the car to take on track this year and now is time to start looking at engine (brakes and handling sorted- time for some engine tweaking). I'll be runing innovate (lc1 or lc2) wideband. I've got rx8 injectors in the post, looking at intercoolers and debating chargecooler (getting quote this week). Likely to run it with COPs and currently debating throttle bodies and water/methanol injection. I am also likely to use knock and coolant sensors.
So that's what I've got in mind. I'd like to know:
Is the ms2 capable of running above happily?
Would there be any benefit in upgrading to MS2x or MS3?
Do you know anyone that would be able to make a harness to go from ms2 to mx5?

I have attached a link to picture below of the MS2 that I've bought. Apparently it has a crank crack or mod? Do you have any idea what this is exactly as previous owner wasn't sure himself (useful!)? Any info on what I have and if it will do what I require will be much appreciated.

Kind Regards

Ben

elutionsdesign
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Help needed with new MS2 V3

Post by elutionsdesign »

Whoa that thing is filthy inside! Might want to get someone to clean that up before you power it up. It appears that someone added a VR conditioner circuit, not sure why as the board has one on it which may suggest the original builder couldn't get it to work.

I'd forget about a knock sensor, everything else is very compatible with the ECU.
Graduate of EFI University.

I build, repair, install and tune Megasquirt systems in North Dakota and beyond!
MXBen
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by MXBen »

Thanks a lot for the respons elution. Don't worry, it will definitely be cleaned before being fitted to my motor! Am I right in saying that if I was to remove the conditioner circuit, then I should be back at a standard ms2 ready for mods to be added to allow it to be used on my mx5? Once mods added, I'd then look to add the msextra code? Please let me know if I'm on the right lines here.
All the best
Ben
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

There are a number of other mods in there. You're going to want to become familiar with the mods in the MS2/Extra V3.0 hardware manual:

http://www.msextra.com/doc/pdf/MS2V30_Hardware-3.3.pdf
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
DaveEFI
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by DaveEFI »

It appears to have some other mods judging by the bits in the proto area.

If you power it up (make sure you include a 1 amp fuse if using a car battery or high power supply) and connect to Tuner Studio, it will tell you what code is in use - it will almost certainly be Extra code already. But maybe an older version - it's easy to update. IMHO, it's worth getting a JimStim. This makes it simple to power it up - and also provide a tach signal similar to the one you will be using, and to check all the inputs etc work. Also to help understand what does what on MS.
Rover SD1 3.5 EFI
MS2 V3
EDIS
Tech Edge O2
London UK.