Sensor wiring and grounds

A general forum and a place for initial or prospective users. See Manuals/Documentation
Click here to enter
Contact a Forum Administrator
If unsure where to post, post in this sub-forum.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

SmackBang
MS/Extra Newbie

Sensor wiring and grounds

Post by SmackBang »

Sorry if this isn't the right forum area.

Let me start by saying I know very little about automotive electronics (or electronics in general), so go easy.

Is there any issue with extending the GM IAT pigtail wires by approx 2-3 meters so I can hook it up via the DB15 on the rear of my Bosch 55 pin DIYPNP? I don't want to hack up the stock wiring loom or connectors just yet since I need to be able to revert the car to a driveable state at the end of the day. I was thinking I would just run a wire inside the ECU from whichever DB15 pin to IAT on the front of the main board. Any issues with doing this? Should I be using sheilded wire for the extension?

Also, how do I ground the IAT sensor via the DB15? Pin 1 is marked GND, which I'm assuming I have to wire to a GND on the front of the main board...but using that just for the IAT seems a little wasteful.
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Sensor wiring and grounds

Post by Matt Cramer »

The resistance of the wiring is much smaller than the resistance of the sensor. You can extend the wires as needed.

The DIYPNP would be grounded through the main harness. What pins on the DB15 are ground will depend on how it's built, as the DB15's pinout is customizable.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X