which MS unit would fit my needs

A general forum and a place for initial or prospective users. See Manuals/Documentation
Click here to enter
Contact a Forum Administrator
If unsure where to post, post in this sub-forum.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

Taborct1
MS/Extra Newbie

which MS unit would fit my needs

Post by Taborct1 »

'66 289 sbf v8 (distributor controlled) with a '90s gt40 intake and plenum (MPI) and a turbo pushing 20 psi. All i need is a unit that will operate the fuel injectors based off of the distributor (coil tach), CTS, TPS, MAP, O2, IAT x2 (before and after intercooler mainly for eficiency reading), and IAC if needed.
Ford Lord
Taborct1
MS/Extra Newbie

which ecu should i use.

Post by Taborct1 »

going to be building a '66 ford 289/302 for v8 forged internals with a comp hydro roller blower cam (otherwords longer lobe separation), with early 90's mustang gt 40 intake and plenum, and a turbo with intercooler. All i need to operate is the fuel injectors. Timing would have to be controlled by a dizzy (of course, probably will use a converted chevy HEI), and will be using a map, cts, tps, O2, IAT x2 (inlet and outlet of intercooler for efficiency), and an IAC. Im normally a carbureted guy and this will be my firs EFI build. Just wondering if i need to get the expensive ms3 or if one of the cheaper units will work fine. not going to be a race car but might do SCCA with it. Daily driver and show car mainly, not that it matters but its going in a 83 thunderbird heritage. ;)
Ford Lord
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: which MS unit would fit my needs

Post by Matt Cramer »

For batch fired injection, an MS2 would do just fine with a few mods for the second IAT sensor input. Although it would be a good idea to have timing control on a turbo motor; that would eliminate the need to have a second box for boost timing control, or to run a locked out distributor and have the drivability penalty this would give you.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
elutionsdesign
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by elutionsdesign »

I'm with Matt on the timing control, you'll want the ECU to be in charge of that. Boost retard is a wonderful thing.
Graduate of EFI University.

I build, repair, install and tune Megasquirt systems in North Dakota and beyond!
Taborct1
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Taborct1 »

what about the 7 pin hei dissy? those have a computer controlled advance. would that not work? if not i have 6AL boxes i can use.
Ford Lord
elutionsdesign
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by elutionsdesign »

Those work just fine.
Graduate of EFI University.

I build, repair, install and tune Megasquirt systems in North Dakota and beyond!
billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by billr »

I don't mean to be an ass, but always gotta ask in cases like this: Isn't the $106 difference between an MS2 and MS3 trivial in the overall cost of a project like this?
Taborct1
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Taborct1 »

when your a college student thats married and owns a house and only gets paid 10$ an hour...yes. i work on cars on the side to fund my project so most stuff i fabricate and things i cant i try to go as cheap as possible unless it has to be quality like this. and 106$ is money that can be saved if the ms2 does everything i need over the ms3.
Ford Lord