New User. Just picked up a MS2 v3.57

A general forum and a place for initial or prospective users. See Manuals/Documentation
Click here to enter
Contact a Forum Administrator
If unsure where to post, post in this sub-forum.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

Gearhead92
MS/Extra Newbie

New User. Just picked up a MS2 v3.57

Post by Gearhead92 »

BaseTune.msq
Hello,

I'm Zach and a new user, hence this post. I'd been looking into purchasing a MS for a while now, and I stumbled upon a new friend and a awesome deal when I loved to the Lancaster/York, PA area.

A little back ground info: I'm a recent grad with a Computer Engineering degree and I'm a Firmware/Hardware Engineer.
I have a essentially stock '88 Mustang, 5.0L 5 speed. When I say essentially stock, I mean it: pulleys, exhaust, explorer intake, CAI, A/C and smog deleted, alum rad and electric fan. I've done almost all of the suspension, and the rear (gears, CAs, etc) will be done this spring (neither of those make any difference for MS, but I figured I'd mention it).

Anyhow, shortly after I moved I made a couple friends that also have foxes, and one of them ended up have a MS2 v3.57 sitting in his garage. He had attempted to get it working but had a distributor problem, said screw it, and in the end went carbed. He had all the wiring done and had it hooked up but didn't have the patience.

So when I told him that I wanted to get into tuning myself, he offer to lend the MS to me, and once I was comfortable with it and got my car running we could work out a deal to buy it from him then.

Now, onto the real questions.

I have the MS, updated the FW, and I have a base tune on it for the 5.0. I downloaded the base tune from a website, but I don't recall which one. (I know there are two different base tunes that I had found for a Fox) I have the test board and have played with it a bit. Seems to be behaving how I'd expect it to.

TunerStudio v2.6.14 and MS v3.57 with FW v3.3.3

My buddy gave me the wiring harness as well, and I plan to go through the harness with a fine tooth comb and assure that it is correct. Once that is completed and the rear end stuff is finished, I plan to get the harness installed and plug in the MS. based on the base tune, and the info I've gathered from the manuals, I think the first step is getting everything installed, turning the car to run (leave injectors unplugged), not starting it, and just checking to make sure all the sensors seem to be working and calibrate them. Once that is finished, try starting the car and work on the idle? Currently, that is my understanding of what to do next.

How does this sound? yay or nay?

What other prep work can I do prior to plugging this in to the car? I've gone through some of the manuals and have some ideas of where to go, but I'm looking for any other advice/tips/knowledge people have from experience, rather than what a manual tells me. I'm sure the manuals are great (they seem to be) but there is always more to it.

Is there anyone around the York/Lancaster/Harrisburg or even Philly, PA area that has experience with MS? If so, would you be will to answer questions?

From a little bit of looking I've found one or two people in a larger area that I'll contact. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Attached is the base tune that I downloaded. The base tune for for FW v3.3.1, and it converted it. Hopefully that doesn't make a huge difference.
It seems to behave like it should, based on my limited knowledge and the test Board/simulator, I feel like the car would at least start. (?)
If someone or multiple people could take a look and tell me if I'm kinda right, or completely wrong, That'd be awesome.
DaveEFI
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: New User. Just picked up a MS2 v3.57

Post by DaveEFI »

Once the MS is installed correctly with all the sensors working as they should, it's not actually that difficult to get the engine started and running reasonably well, especially if fuel only.

Certainly a lot easier then jetting a carb not already designed specifically for your engine.

But IMHO is essential to have a wideband O2 unit so you know for sure what the mixture is.
Rover SD1 3.5 EFI
MS2 V3
EDIS
Tech Edge O2
London UK.
Gearhead92
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Gearhead92 »

Yeah, right now I will be using narrow band 02s. I don't have the $$ to drop on then wide band O2 sensors at the moment.

I will certainly be upgrading later on, but for the initial startup and tune, I think I should be able to make due with narrow band.

Right? Narrow bands will work? It will just make a bit more difficult?
billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by billr »

I feel it is a lot harder to tune with a NB. In fact, you might be better off tuning with no O2 sensor until you can afford the WB (are you aware of the Spartan, about $100?). Many, many millions of engines have been well-tuned with no O2 sensor, so it is certainly doable; and your is not boosted, so little chance of sudden catastrophic failure due to a bad mixture. My point is... you may get very frustrated chasing a NB and give up on the whole project. Or, worse yet (to me!), conclude that MS is an inadequate system.
Gearhead92
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Gearhead92 »

I haven't heard of the Spartan before, but I'm looking at them now. If they are only ~$100 each, I can afford that. The ones I had found before were closer to $4-500 for a pair and a gauge(s).

What all would I need? A controller?

Granted, I'm looking at all this as I type, so I might be able to answer my own question in a bit...
billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by billr »

That includes the controller, but not a nifty gauge to put on the dash, which I don't think you want or need using MS. That last part could open up a lot of debate, but that's my opinion..
Gearhead92
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Gearhead92 »

Yep, found what I needed. Looks like $125 a pop for the controller and sensor.

Cool. This is certainly better than what I had found before. I'll pick these up sometime around the time of the MS install/wiring.

Thanks guys.
Gearhead92
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Gearhead92 »

Dumb question. I've been reading around...do I need one WB O2 per bank? Or can I do it correctly with one WB O2 sensor?

Found the answer, I just need one.
Gearhead92
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Gearhead92 »

Any other tips/tricks/advice for getting started?
Ollie8974
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by Ollie8974 »

Gearhead92 wrote:Dumb question. I've been reading around...do I need one WB O2 per bank? Or can I do it correctly with one WB O2 sensor?

Found the answer, I just need one.
Yes, only need one WB 02 sensor.
How ever install a bung in each exhaust pipe to check each bank.
Gearhead92
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Gearhead92 »

Thanks guys.

I purchased a Spartan O2 sensor and controller, along with a MSD Street Fire.

I'm completely re-doing the harness I was given for this MS, so I know the harness will be 100%.

I'll post more when I get to that point within the next couple weeks.