Megasquirt in Alaska?

A general forum and a place for initial or prospective users. See Manuals/Documentation
Click here to enter
Contact a Forum Administrator
If unsure where to post, post in this sub-forum.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

Nexxussian
MS/Extra Newbie

Megasquirt in Alaska?

Post by Nexxussian »

Hello, I'm assembling a Jim Stim 1.5, barring unforeseen difficulties (ie loosing components) I expect to have it assembled before this weekend (21-22).

I'm wondering if there is anyone in the Anchorage area with an assembled, known good Megasquirt ECU I could test it with?
Erik, in Alaska
Nexxussian
MS/Extra Newbie

Re: Megasquirt in Alaska?

Post by Nexxussian »

I got my Jim Stim 1.5 soldered up Saturday and am working through the bench tests as time allows.

So far all is good. :)

I would still like to have a known good Mega Squirt to verify functionality of the stim with.
Erik, in Alaska
Nexxussian
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Nexxussian »

Okayyy, no joy on the tach test. :(

Please tell me if this looks right.

I have the white jumper wire hooked from the 3 pin 12V header by the voltage regulator to pin 9 of the 10 pin header.

The yellow jumper is hooked from Pin 10 of the 10 pin header to the pin of the Primary Tach header that is closest to the potentiometers.

During the test I had all the dip switches off.

Yes, I plugged the wall wart in to the board AND turned the switch on. ;)
Erik, in Alaska
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by racingmini_mtl »

Yes, that's correct. Did you turn the RPM potentiometers?

Jean
jbperf.com Main site . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . jbperf.com Forum
Nexxussian
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Nexxussian »

racingmini_mtl wrote:Yes, that's correct. Did you turn the RPM potentiometers?

Jean

Thank you. :)

Yes, I tried both the "Fine" and "C" (coarse?) with no blinking from either of the dual color "IAC" LEDs.

I re-verified all the LEDs were working (both colors for IAC, powered off when moving any jumpers, using a bonded ESD mat and wrist strap).

From what I read that suggests a processor problem (neither the processor, polyfuse, nor the voltage regulator are even getting warm, let alone hot).

When I soldered the CPU socket to the board, one of the sockets spit red plastcky goo out (4th visible socket from the left in the picture, slightly darker from my cleaning efforts) but I was able to remove that residue (best I can see with the magnification I have available).

Could that be part of my problem, if so, is there something I can do to more thoroughly clean that socket / receptacle?

Any idea what that red goo was?

For clarity, the processor was not in the socket during any application of heat, or any of my cleaning efforts.
Erik, in Alaska
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by racingmini_mtl »

Did you get this kit from DIYAutotune? If so, you may want to contact them about this red goo. I've never seen or heard about that and that could be an issue. But they may know something about it or may be able to help some other way.

Jean
jbperf.com Main site . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . jbperf.com Forum
Nexxussian
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Nexxussian »

racingmini_mtl wrote:Did you get this kit from DIYAutotune? If so, you may want to contact them about this red goo. I've never seen or heard about that and that could be an issue. But they may know something about it or may be able to help some other way.

Jean

Yes, I purchased the kit from DIYautotune.com.

As you suggested, I have sent them an email.

Thank you for the help. :)
Erik, in Alaska