Megasquirt not playing nice with my tibby

A general forum and a place for initial or prospective users. See Manuals/Documentation
Click here to enter
Contact a Forum Administrator
If unsure where to post, post in this sub-forum.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

leinadrefik
MS/Extra Newbie

Megasquirt not playing nice with my tibby

Post by leinadrefik »

I am the biggest newb you will ever see, so please try to not make me cry too bad

I have been very very very slowly installing megasquirt 2 on my car and sdtib on here has given me a lot of help. i figured he would start getting annoyed with me constantly badgering him to spoon feed me, so i decided to join here so the whole community can (hopefully) spoon feed me instead.
Anyway, on to me begging for spoons.
I have a ms2 3.57 that's been sitting in my closet for over a year that i finally decided to start wiring in, I stole a tune from sdtib, changed a couple of things, wired up all the sensors and left the stock ecu in place to run the engine for right now, tried to fire it up, nothing. I can run the car with megasquirt unplugged just fine, but when i plug the db37 in it will just die unless the car is warm. If i let the car warm up and then plug megasquirt back in i can start the car. it takes a bit of cranking, but it starts eventually. The car also hits a wall at 3,000 rpm. megasquirt sees the rpms it stops around, but if i downshift and go over that many rpm it loses the signal. i tried logging a little earlier but wasn't having much luck. Don't mind most of the tune that's attached, I've just been trying to get the sensors wired in and everything right with that before i go to spark and fuel. Please help me, Megasquirt gods, i tried searching but found 100 different things. if i have something set wrong that somebody that knows what they are looking at could easily spot, it would save me a lot of time trying to guess myself.
leinadrefik
MS/Extra Newbie

Re: Megajizz not playing nice with my tibby

Post by leinadrefik »

It's a v6 tiburon, 60-2 wheel, hall sensor on the crank.
kjones6039
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by kjones6039 »

Call me old fashioned perhaps........ I just wonder if that kind of verbage (as used in the topic line) really contributes to the discussion......

Ken
1979 Corvette - 383 CID SBC w/ Holley Pro-Jection 900 CFM TBI, 4-85 lb lo-z injectors & Walbro 255 pump
MS2 v3 w/extra 3.4.2 Release
36-1, Delphi LS2/7 coils in wasted spark, driven by v2.0 logic board from JBPerformance
Spartan Lambda Sensor from 14point7
TinyIOX from JBPerformance
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Mega---- not playing nice with my tibby

Post by racingmini_mtl »

kjones6039 wrote:Call me old fashioned perhaps........ I just wonder if that kind of verbage (as used in the topic line) really contributes to the discussion......

Ken
I had the exact same thought...

Jean
jbperf.com Main site . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . jbperf.com Forum
prof315
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Mega---- not playing nice with my tibby

Post by prof315 »

racingmini_mtl wrote:
kjones6039 wrote:Call me old fashioned perhaps........ I just wonder if that kind of verbage (as used in the topic line) really contributes to the discussion......

Ken
I had the exact same thought...

Jean
X3
Linfert Performance/321 Motorsports
SCCA 2019 SM National Champion Crew Chief
SCCA 2023 FP National Champion Tuner/electrical engineer
100s of MS systems built installed and tuned
Support the developers!
billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by billr »

Okay, me too, I expected this thread to be spam. However, the body of the OP was reasonably intelligible. I'm not familiar with MS2, so the only thing that caught my eye is that the VE table is rather odd. This is a "fuel only" install, correct? Just so we can check the req_fuel, what are your actual parameters for calculating that (displacement, injector flow, # of injectors and cylinders, stoic ratio)? Obviously, keep working on getting a run log to post.

Edit: got the cylinders/injectors... 6 of each
leinadrefik
MS/Extra Newbie

Re: Megasquirt not playing nice with my tibby

Post by leinadrefik »

It's actually not going to be a fuel only install. I'm just doing one thing at a time. Sorry about the title. I jokingly call it that to my friends and it's pretty much second nature now. I don't have any outputs hooked up. Just the sensors and it still doesn't like being plugged into the car. Megasquirt sees rpm while cranking, but it's hard to start when cold. It's better when warm but still won't rev past 3,000 rpm.
kjones6039
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by kjones6039 »

I for one, wouldn't mind seeing a log of this engine running. A log will give us more to go on, I think.

Ken
1979 Corvette - 383 CID SBC w/ Holley Pro-Jection 900 CFM TBI, 4-85 lb lo-z injectors & Walbro 255 pump
MS2 v3 w/extra 3.4.2 Release
36-1, Delphi LS2/7 coils in wasted spark, driven by v2.0 logic board from JBPerformance
Spartan Lambda Sensor from 14point7
TinyIOX from JBPerformance
prof315
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by prof315 »

You probably need to adjust R56 a bit. I have found that on some missing tooth/hall sensor installs the standard 7 turns CCW and then 2 turns CW isn't perfect.
Linfert Performance/321 Motorsports
SCCA 2019 SM National Champion Crew Chief
SCCA 2023 FP National Champion Tuner/electrical engineer
100s of MS systems built installed and tuned
Support the developers!
leinadrefik
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by leinadrefik »

I'm going to try to get a log after work. I tried adjusting r36 12 turns ccw, then 6 cw. That didn't help much so I tried another her two turns. That didn't really do anything either. I'll try playing with it a little more tonight too.
leinadrefik
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by leinadrefik »

R56 I mean. Not 36.
ashford
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by ashford »

the way i understand the op the factory computer is hook up and still doing everything but the ms is "y-ed" into the sensors and the eom computer don't run right when the ms is plugged in.
leinadrefik
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by leinadrefik »

ashford wrote:the way i understand the op the factory computer is hook up and still doing everything but the ms is "y-ed" into the sensors and the eom computer don't run right when the ms is plugged in.
Correct.
leinadrefik
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by leinadrefik »

it started without too much drama this time, but still not going much past 3,000 rpm. I found out that it still won't rev higher after I unplug megasquirt unless i shut the car off for a few seconds.
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

The RPM signal is breaking up; can you post a tooth log?
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by billr »

I know this has already been covered, but just want to ask in my own words, to be sure I understand correctly:

The MS is controlling nothing, correct? The MS is just connected to OEM system sensors (parallel to OEM ECU) and is probably disrupting sensor signals to cause OEM ECU to go into some kind "limp mode"?
leinadrefik
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by leinadrefik »

Correct. Megasquirt isn't controlling anything. That is exactly what it seems like. The car going into limp mode. A couple of other people with tiburons have wired it the same way without a problem. That'swwhy I'mconfused .
billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by billr »

We are making progress, now I know what a "tibby" is! I would connect the MS inputs one-at-a-time, that should quickly isolate which ones are driving the OEM system nuts.

Edit: that run log shows the MAP "stuck" at a constant 102kPa, I would start my search there...
leinadrefik
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by leinadrefik »

The map sensor isn't hooked up to anything yet since I was just testing the OEM sensors. I am getting a check engine light finally. I'm going to see if I can find my dongle so I can see what it is. Hopefully that can shed some light on this mystery. I have a feeling it's a crank sensor code, but I'm still not sure what the next step is if it is. I could get away with theproblem being a coolant temp ssensor or something. I obviously need the crank signal.
leinadrefik
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by leinadrefik »

I just clipped the crank wires and it drives just fine to 7,000 rpm. I am obviously doing something wrong. How exactly should the sensor be wired to megasquirt? I have the signal and ground wires going to the black and white shielded wires on the ms harness. I figured that was right off of a diagram i saw. I was getting an rpm signal too. I am not an electrical guru, so forgive my ignorance.