Can I check my MIata ignition and fuel stuff with my MSP?

A general forum and a place for initial or prospective users. See Manuals/Documentation
Click here to enter
Contact a Forum Administrator
If unsure where to post, post in this sub-forum.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

HIturbo
MS/Extra Newbie

Can I check my MIata ignition and fuel stuff with my MSP?

Post by HIturbo »

Total noob and I'm just gonna go ahead and ask because I have midterms this week and cannot learn about my MS Pro until spring break next week.

I have a 01 Miata with that's basically stock and am dealing with a intermitten multiple random misfire code (p0300). From my research, it looks like it's my ignition coils BUT, heres the thing.. I just received a MSP PnP and am now wondering if I can plug it in just to see if I can test the fuel and ignition stuff and perhaps avoid wasting extra money. I have new spark plugs/wires and have changed the fuel filter. I think that leaves ignition coils, fuel pump, or injectors. I guess it's possible that the TPS or CAS is wonky but I am not getting any codes besides p0300. (I get the misfire when cruising and sometimes idle drop)

Please advise
grom_e30
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Can I check my MIata ignition and fuel stuff with my MSP

Post by grom_e30 »

may be an idea to get the car running correctly on the stock setup, that way when you switch over to a ecu your not totally familiar with (megasquirt) you have a solid base to work from and may avoid potential headaches.
1990 bmw 320i daily driver with m20b25 ms3 sequential fuel, 380cc injectors, d585 coil near plug, home made cam sync, launch control, fan control, vss, homebrew egt logging what's next????
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

The MSPNP Pro has some diagnostic capabilities, but it's not the same as OBD2. However, it does allow you to view all its sensor readings in real time, which might be helpful.

Like Grom says, it'll be better to get it running on the stock ECU first before throwing mods at it.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
HIturbo
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by HIturbo »

Okay.. I'll just go head and order the new coils. I probably should anyways since they have almost 100k miles and I'm going turbo. Thanks.