Using MAP signal to run sequential injection

A general forum and a place for initial or prospective users. See Manuals/Documentation
Click here to enter
Contact a Forum Administrator
If unsure where to post, post in this sub-forum.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

aw113sgte
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Using MAP signal to run sequential injection

Post by aw113sgte »

How do I know if the microsquirt has switched to sequential from batch? I don't see an applicable indicator in the gauge cluster.

EDIT:
Okay, so I am NOT running in sequential. I have changed a few criteria but can't get it to run in sequential. I am at a loss at this point, can you guys take a look at my files/logs and see if you notice any errors?
2015-03-20_08.44.07.msl
2015-03-20_08.50.04.msq
Last edited by aw113sgte on Fri Mar 20, 2015 7:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
grom_e30
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Using MAP signal to run sequential injection

Post by grom_e30 »

It you look at status1 in a data log 8 would be half sync so batch and 136 would be full sync sequential the status fields should be covered in the manuals
1990 bmw 320i daily driver with m20b25 ms3 sequential fuel, 380cc injectors, d585 coil near plug, home made cam sync, launch control, fan control, vss, homebrew egt logging what's next????
aw113sgte
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by aw113sgte »

grom_e30 wrote:It you look at status1 in a data log 8 would be half sync so batch and 136 would be full sync sequential the status fields should be covered in the manuals
Not sure I follow. What is data log 8?

There is a button on the dash that indicates half/full sync, however it lights full sync even though I am currently running in batch mode.
grom_e30
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by grom_e30 »

if you look at a data log you have saved, there should be a field to view called 'status1' if it =8 your half synced just using the crank sensor and if it =136 you have fully synced up eg using crank and cam/map phase. also in tunerstudio there should be the half/full synced indicator.

if your tune is set to use batch you should get full rpm sync off the crank sensor only.
1990 bmw 320i daily driver with m20b25 ms3 sequential fuel, 380cc injectors, d585 coil near plug, home made cam sync, launch control, fan control, vss, homebrew egt logging what's next????
aw113sgte
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by aw113sgte »

grom_e30 wrote:if you look at a data log you have saved, there should be a field to view called 'status1' if it =8 your half synced just using the crank sensor and if it =136 you have fully synced up eg using crank and cam/map phase. also in tunerstudio there should be the half/full synced indicator.

if your tune is set to use batch you should get full rpm sync off the crank sensor only.
Okay got it, thanks! I didn't know the indicator changed it's criteria based on injection mode.
aw113sgte
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by aw113sgte »

Well I turned on full sequential injection mode, using the map sensor. I am using on the Shadowdash screen, I am getting the indicators "half-sync" changed to green and reading "full sync" EDIT: it was the icon next to full sync I think. I am also getting the "not synced" indicator green and "synced". However I have a status1=8, then after idling for a while it changed to 9.

Sure would be nice if there was some detailed documentation on this stuff.
Last edited by aw113sgte on Fri Mar 20, 2015 7:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
grom_e30
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by grom_e30 »

http://www.msextra.com/doc/pdf/html/Meg ... e-1.3.html page 60

that explains it, so status1 = 8 is rpm synced ( crank sensor )

status1 = 9 is rpm synced (8) & need burn you (1), you must made a change to the tune file.
aw113sgte
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by aw113sgte »

grom_e30 wrote:http://www.msextra.com/doc/pdf/html/Meg ... e-1.3.html page 60

that explains it, so status1 = 8 is rpm synced ( crank sensor )

status1 = 9 is rpm synced (8) & need burn you (1), you must made a change to the tune file.
So to verify, rpm synced=sequential? or is it really just RPM? I was on VEAL so that makes since for the burn required.
grom_e30
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by grom_e30 »

rpm synced status1 =8 is half synced crank sensor only full synced =136
aw113sgte
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by aw113sgte »

Okay, so I am NOT running in sequential. I have changed a few criteria but can't get it to run in sequential. I am at a loss at this point, can you guys take a look at my files/logs and see if you notice any errors?
2015-03-20_08.44.07.msl
2015-03-20_08.50.04.msq
aw113sgte
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by aw113sgte »

So with those files above, it is now syncing, but I am also as a temp where is cranks longer before firing. I am seeing full-sync come up before the engine fires (yes status1=136). I'll have to see if this continues.
aw113sgte
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by aw113sgte »

I confirmed if cranking takes a little long, it will detect the phase and run in sequential. If it fires up quickly, it never detects the phase. I have it set at 80kpa under "Phase Detect Threshold", I read the manual but it doesn't explain this very well. Does it try to detect the phase when running or only when cranking? I guess I can randomly guess as various values and see what happens.
aw113sgte
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by aw113sgte »

I did some more testing, changing "Phase detect threshold" from 10 to 90kpa in 10kpa increments. It never fully synced if the bike fired up quickly and never synced after it was running, regardless of the phase detect value. Where to go from here? It seems like the phase detect method is only under cranking and therefore not terribly robust?
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Post by jsmcortina »

Do you have the registered version of TunerStudio? If yes, then record some MAP logs and see what's happening.

It might be that your engine is unsuitable to this phase detection method and you'll need to add a cam sensor. Or perhaps you have the MAP sampling angle set in the wrong place.

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".
aw113sgte
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by aw113sgte »

jsmcortina wrote:Do you have the registered version of TunerStudio? If yes, then record some MAP logs and see what's happening.

It might be that your engine is unsuitable to this phase detection method and you'll need to add a cam sensor. Or perhaps you have the MAP sampling angle set in the wrong place.

James
Thanks for answering James!
Yes I have the registered version and my Map sample window looks good. I have a consistent ~40kpa vacuum at idle.
map window.jpg
map260.csv
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Post by jsmcortina »

As you are getting a good 40kPa, then I'd think that your phase threshold should be set to somewhere around 50kPa.

The phase detection operates during cranking and run until a "yes", "no", "yes", "no" pattern is found or too many failed matches occur.

Code: Select all

if (synch & SYNC_SEMI2) {
                    /* SEMI2 here means that we've synced to the crank, but have
                        yet to confirm cam sync. We are still running wasted COP and
                        are looking to match an on/off/on/off cam pattern. */
                    ls1_sl++;
                    ls1_ls <<= 1;

if (flagbyte1 & flagbyte1_trig2active) { /* happens when the MAP was below the thresh */
                        ls1_ls |= 1;
                    }

if ((ls1_sl > 3) && ((ls1_ls & 0x0f) == 0x05)) { // i.e. 0101
                        synch &= ~SYNC_SEMI2;        // found cam, stop WCOP of dwells
                        outpc.status1 |= STATUS1_SYNCFULL;
                    } else if (((mapadc_thresh == 0) && (ls1_sl > 10)) 
                        || (mapadc_thresh && (ls1_sl > 100))) {
                        /* Failed to receive matching pattern, cam input faulty */
                        /* 10 revs allowance on normal electrical cam sensor
                           100 revs for map threshold sensing in case operator starts at WOT */
James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

aw113sgte
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by aw113sgte »

jsmcortina wrote:As you are getting a good 40kPa, then I'd think that your phase threshold should be set to somewhere around 50kPa.

The phase detection operates during cranking and run until a "yes", "no", "yes", "no" pattern is found or too many failed matches occur.

Code: Select all

if (synch & SYNC_SEMI2) {
                    /* SEMI2 here means that we've synced to the crank, but have
                        yet to confirm cam sync. We are still running wasted COP and
                        are looking to match an on/off/on/off cam pattern. */
                    ls1_sl++;
                    ls1_ls <<= 1;

if (flagbyte1 & flagbyte1_trig2active) { /* happens when the MAP was below the thresh */
                        ls1_ls |= 1;
                    }

if ((ls1_sl > 3) && ((ls1_ls & 0x0f) == 0x05)) { // i.e. 0101
                        synch &= ~SYNC_SEMI2;        // found cam, stop WCOP of dwells
                        outpc.status1 |= STATUS1_SYNCFULL;
                    } else if (((mapadc_thresh == 0) && (ls1_sl > 10)) 
                        || (mapadc_thresh && (ls1_sl > 100))) {
                        /* Failed to receive matching pattern, cam input faulty */
                        /* 10 revs allowance on normal electrical cam sensor
                           100 revs for map threshold sensing in case operator starts at WOT */
James
You say it operates during cranking...I get 40kpa at idle, but during cranking I'm in the 85-95kpa range. It just doesn't pull that much vacuum during cranking. I did have it sync when set at 60kpa though....
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Post by jsmcortina »

From that code snippet you can see that it will try to find the phase for the first 100 revs before it gives up.

James

aw113sgte
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by aw113sgte »

jsmcortina wrote:From that code snippet you can see that it will try to find the phase for the first 100 revs before it gives up.

James
Hmm, I would think it would sync without issue then. I wonder if it's possible my map sensor is too far. It's about 2ft of hose so if I calculate that right, the lag is about 16 degrees. Can't imagine that would make a difference though.
Is there any kind of datalogged parameters that could determine the failure mode of the sync?
aw113sgte
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by aw113sgte »

Could the type of detection method make a difference? (Rising/falling edge, polling)?