LPG Low impedance injectors?

A general forum and a place for initial or prospective users. See Manuals/Documentation
Click here to enter
Contact a Forum Administrator
If unsure where to post, post in this sub-forum.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

Dixon
MS/Extra Newbie

LPG Low impedance injectors?

Post by Dixon »

Now I've done a search and can't seem to Find a straight answer.

I've got a megasquirt 2 V3, I understand the MS 1 board can run with Low impedance injectors but from what ive read the MS2X board can't run low impedance injectors?

Is it possible to run low impedance injectors on on all 4 injector drivers?

I'm soon to be running 8 lpg injectors on a SBC V8, I want to run them semi sequential but would prefer to do it over 4 banks and not two.
elutionsdesign
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: LPG Low impedance injectors?

Post by elutionsdesign »

The V3.0 board has two injector outputs capable of PWM control if you populated them fully so you can run low impedence directly. That is it.
Graduate of EFI University.

I build, repair, install and tune Megasquirt systems in North Dakota and beyond!
Dixon
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Dixon »

So it won't be possible to run 4 seperate banks of low impedance injectors because you can only control the 2 out of the 4 injector drivers with PWM?
elaw
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by elaw »

I'm a little confused by what you wrote... as far as I know there's no such thing as an "MS2X board". There's an MS3X which is intended for use with an MS3 processor but you state you have an MS2.

The V3 mainboard indeed has two injector drivers (not four) which have PWM capability so they can run low-impedance injectors directly. The MS3X has 8 injector outputs but it has no PWM circuitry to drive low-impedance injectors. It's usually possible to get around that limitation and still use low-impedance injectors by putting resistors in series with the injectors - if you search these forums you'll see some discussion of that.

But as I said above, the MS3X is designed to work with the MS3 daughtercard (processor). I think it can be made to work with the MS1 and MS2 processors, at least partially (the older processors don't have enough I/O to support all the MS3X functions), but it requires a lot of creative wiring and a taller case.
Eric Law
1990 Audi 80 quattro with AAN turbo engine: happily running on MS3+MS3X
2012 Audi A4 quattro, desperately in need of tweaking

Be alert! America needs more lerts.
Dixon
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Dixon »

MS2X board : http://www.extraefi.co.uk/MS2X_board.html

I was thinking if it wasn't possible then I wiuld either just run it as two banks as per megasquirt manual or work out a resistor pack.

Just couldnt work out why the 2 additional injector drivers couldn't run low impedance. I guess now I know, it's because the extra 2 injector drivers are design/set up to not run with PWM?
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by racingmini_mtl »

The 2 additional injector channels use the PWM timers on the MS2 so the PWM function is no longer available on any injector channel. And any question you have on the MS2X board should be addressed to extraefi since this is their own board and they are the ones who can support it.

For low impedance injectors, you will either need to use inline resistors or external peak&hold drivers.

Jean
jbperf.com Main site . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . jbperf.com Forum
Dixon
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Dixon »

Thank you for your help guys. Wired up the injectors to run in 2 banks.

Biggest problem I have now is I can't get an injector pulse on both cranking and using the output test?