New in forum. Some tips

A general forum and a place for initial or prospective users. See Manuals/Documentation
Click here to enter
Contact a Forum Administrator
If unsure where to post, post in this sub-forum.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

JRC
MS/Extra Newbie

New in forum. Some tips

Post by JRC »

Hi everyone!

Previously I've megasquirted a 2.0 8V opel engine and I want to go foward. Now I'm trying to fix an C20XE engine with a Megasquirt 2.

It's a stock Opel C20XE 2.0 16V engine and I have added jbperf card so I can run VW COPs in sequential mode, but I'm having a problem with it. Engine gets RPMs but no cam signal. I changed into simultaneous injection and wasted-COP in order to start the engine without cam sensor. If I start the engine, sounds like if only works 2 or 3 cilinders...

Cam sensor is a Hall 0-5V type. I'm using OEM wiring harness and actually it's running with OEM ECU, so cam sensor works OK, but when I plug Megasquirt, theres no signal in compossite logger, so I can't run sequential. Cam sensor works with 12V and I tested it, giving me 5V without tooth and ground passing a piece of metal.

My two questions are.

¿How can I run wasted-COP? Wiring to COPs are the same as Coil-on-Plug? I have: Spark A to cyl 1, Spark B to cyl 3, Spark C to cyl 4 and Spark D to cyl 2, but I don't know if in wasted-COP has another configuration.

To have Cam signal, there's any configuration in tunerstudio? I followed the following instructions:

Adding a cam sensor input - hall or logic sensor
This option uses the spare opto-isolator on the mainboard for the cam input and matches the polarity inversion
of the VR/universal tach input.
This section is for sensors as covered in 5.2.3 that put out a 0-5V signal.
a) The OptoIn pad should be connected to a spare pin on the main DB37 connector (e.g. SPR3)
b) Connect OptoOut to JS10 (ensuring that nothing else is connected.)
c) Jumper XG1 - XG2
d) Check that R12 is a 390R to 470R resistor, replace if not.
e) -not required-
f) -not required-
g) Ensure that C30 is not fitted.

Thanks!
grom_e30
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: New in forum. Some tips

Post by grom_e30 »

semi sequential fuel and wasted cop will work with just a missing tooth crank wheel 60-2 for instance, as for the wiring for the coils you would wire them as if it was sequential but the ecu will fire them in pairs.

and in order to see that cam signal you will need to change to dual wheel, post a msq
1990 bmw 320i daily driver with m20b25 ms3 sequential fuel, 380cc injectors, d585 coil near plug, home made cam sync, launch control, fan control, vss, homebrew egt logging what's next????
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

Wasted-COP mode can just be enabled under "Number of coils" in TunerStudio. If you don't have this mode, upgrade to the latest firmware.

The mods sound OK but your sensor may need a pull up. If so, run a 470 ohm resistor from a 5 volt source to Opto In.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
JRC
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by JRC »

Hi!

Thank you everyone for the answers.

According to cam signal, I had jumpered D1 and D2 as I'm using 5V hall sensor. It's that correct? Cam sensor gives 0v to 5V signal, is necessary to install a pull-up resistor?

It was strage that in Coil-on-plug mode (with cam sensor) doesn't appear any signal in composite logger (no green line)...

I will probe will pull-up resistor

Thanks again
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

JRC wrote:Hi!

Thank you everyone for the answers.

According to cam signal, I had jumpered D1 and D2 as I'm using 5V hall sensor. It's that correct?
Yes.
Cam sensor gives 0v to 5V signal, is necessary to install a pull-up resistor?
Depends on the sensor.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X