Announcing the AMP EFI clinic, Sept. 5-6, Chaska, MN

A general forum and a place for initial or prospective users. See Manuals/Documentation
Click here to enter
Contact a Forum Administrator
If unsure where to post, post in this sub-forum.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Announcing the AMP EFI clinic, Sept. 5-6, Chaska, MN

Post by Matt Cramer »

It's an MS3-Pro tuning clinic!

AMP EFI Clinic is a hands-on, two day tuning course for end users, dealers and professional tuners teaching installation, configuration, and calibration of a modern engine management system in a *real world* environment with bona fide, competition experienced instructors.. If you are new to tuning, this could certainly be your fast track!

Experienced tuner Scott Clark and Engine Masters Challenge builder Mark Dalquist will facilitate the course using an actual Engine Masters competition engine. Each participant will put their hands on, configure and tune their own ECU with (a full-featured MS3-Pro EMS), and will test their calibrations on a live running engine.

From basic configuration and start up to the most advanced features and power management. Limited to 30 participants. Includes a BONUS session with David Vizard!

Our learning environment provides each participant:
*Hands-on training with Scott Clark, tuner for Larry Larson's 'World's Quickest Street Car'
*Hands-on training with Engine Masters multi-year contender Mark Dalquist
*Access to a personal classroom Engine Simulator Workstation with a full-featured MS3-Pro EMS
*Tuning demo of a full instrumented Engine Masters Engine provided by Throttles Performance
*Access to an MS3-Pro controlled car on chassis dyno provided by Throttles Performance
*A BONUS session with David Vizard

Light breakfast, refreshments, drinks and lunch will be provided.

Price-$799.00 per person

Date: September 5th and 6th

Time: 9AM-5PM

4255 Creek Rd.
Chaska, MN 55318

If you will be traveling in for the clinic, we have a room block at the Hampton Inn Minneapolis/ Shakopee located at 4175 Dean Lakes Blvd., Shakopee, Minnesota, 55379. Mention AMP EFI Clinic for a $20 discount per night.

If you want to register, follow this link:

Register for the AMP EFI Clinic
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
elutionsdesign
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Announcing the AMP EFI clinic, Sept. 5-6, Chaska, MN

Post by elutionsdesign »

Bump, this is coming up fast!
Graduate of EFI University.

I build, repair, install and tune Megasquirt systems in North Dakota and beyond!
Rick Finsta
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by Rick Finsta »

Anyone have an after action report on this? It would be nice to know (from a participant) if the class was worthwhile; basic POI/schedule, deficiencies/takeaways, facility, etc.
AdeV
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by AdeV »

I went along. I was (am) a complete noob to engine tuning/EFI. I've owned a Megasquirt (MS3/MSExtra, JimStim & JimStimX) for 2 years and it's sat lurking in a box - I could never get anything meaningful out of it.

IMHO the course was pitched perfectly. Day 1 was really covering the basics of engine tuning with an MS3Pro, attached to a JimStim & JimStimX. There were a few technical glitches with various people trying to get laptops connected to the Megasquirt; then some of us had issues getting the JimStims to do anything - some of the Megasquirts had been "zeroed", so no base tune = no flashing lights. All these problems were ironed out by lunchtime. Teaching, meanwhile, was ongoing.

I guess the real highlight was getting to tune a real live actual race engine, in the dyno cell, in real time. Since there were over 20 of us, we were split into groups of ~4 at a time to go play with the engine. This worked out really well; everyone got "a go", and for those of us who hung on until towards the end of the day got to see some of the things we'd learned in action. Pre-first-start testing was extensively covered in the first sessions, with more concentration on live tuning in later sessions.

The other real highlight was getting to speak to David Vizard, and to hear some of his theories of cam selection. And plenty of anecdotes of course... Unfortunately, his computer got stage fright & went a bit loopy mid-talk, but there was still plenty to learn. Of course, being a fellow Brit (the only one on the course), I got to hog his time reminiscing of racing on British circuits... sorry fellow students :)

Day 2 covered many of the more complicated and/or esoteric features of the MS system - launch control, traction control, closed-loop tuning, and so on. There was a long, LONG list of subjects, but Scott covered them all with ease. Once again, there was an opportunity to fiddle with the engine on the dyno.

Throughout the course, and afterwards at the hotel (well worth booking the recommended accommodation - it's like a free extension to the course), the guys were all available for individual Q&A and advice, and just general chin-wagging of course.

Finally.... I have to mention TPiS, the guys who kindly hosted the course. Petrol heads (gear heads) to a man, they were excellent hosts; and the food! Man, the food was to die for. Real, proper grub, properly home made (sorry, I can't remember the name of the chap who actually cooked it), who knew that it was possible to tune race cars AND be a demon in the kitchen! There was as much coffee/soda/water as you could drink freely available. They really went the extra mile.

So... TL;DR: Absolutely well worth it. There were guys there from all levels, not just noobs like me, and I believe all of them took something away from the course. Scott & Mark were great hosts & great teachers - and watching Mark go white as a sheet when someone mis-typed an AFR target while his Pontiac was doing 5000rpm at full load was priceless (the engine survived just fine BTW). I'm really glad I made the effort to go; and now I've got my own MS3 setup working (it really helps when you know what you're looking for), I can't wait to get my engine built up. I know that, when I come to that first start, that all the stuff I learned will help me immensely.

Highly recommended.
Rick Finsta
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by Rick Finsta »

Thanks, exactly the type of review I was looking for. This wasn't in the budget this year but I would love to attend if it is offered in the future again.

But only before football season, since I'm pretty sure they close off the WI borders with MN and IL at that time.
AdeV
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by AdeV »

I managed to sneak across the borders - but only because I ditched the (solidly jammed) Interstates & headed cross country. My GPS really didn't like it... (Drove from Chicago to Minnesota & back - don't ask... next time I'll fly...).
Rick Finsta
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by Rick Finsta »

I-90 isn't a bad drive... usually. I went to school in LaCrosse and my (now wife) was living in Chicago for awhile. Lots of trips back and forth. So do you live in the Chicago area or did you just fly in to O'Hare or Midway from what we unruly colonials call "the continent?"

My way to stay off main roads would have been IL 20 up through Cuba City and then WI 35 to LaCrosse, and then 61 up into the Twin Cities (basically a nice drive along the Mississippi). Not fast, but certainly pretty.

Thanks again for the rundown.
AdeV
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by AdeV »

I got unlucky - someone's car caught fire north of Madison, added about 3hrs to the journey....

As it happens, I still live on the other side of the pond, no direct flights to Minneapolis so O'Hare it was (what a lovely place....), and a trip up & down the I-90... plus there was a couple of things i wanted to see in Chicago (e.g. U-505).