aem pre turbo wideband setup

A general forum and a place for initial or prospective users. See Manuals/Documentation
Click here to enter
Contact a Forum Administrator
If unsure where to post, post in this sub-forum.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

jsimmons
Experienced MS/Extra'er

aem pre turbo wideband setup

Post by jsimmons »

Anyone using this setup? How well does it work? I would really like to use cyl to cyl tuning on a turbo set up but im finding it hard to find people who are using this setup that aren't either sponsored by aem or working for them.

Are there any other solutions for accurate afrs pre turbo?
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: aem pre turbo wideband setup

Post by Matt Cramer »

We typically use a post-turbo wideband and use EGTs for cylinder balancing.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
jsimmons
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by jsimmons »

That is my plan b. Since im going to run a single turbo there's no sense in running more than one wide band. I would personally like to be able to at minimum run 1 per bank.
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by racingmini_mtl »

One way to avoid the pressure issue is to make sample chambers where the sensors are in remote chambers and exhaust is brought to them by small tubes. You can see what I mean in that thread: http://www.turbominis.co.uk/forums/inde ... tid=300943.

Jean
jbperf.com Main site . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . jbperf.com Forum
jsimmons
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by jsimmons »

racingmini_mtl wrote:One way to avoid the pressure issue is to make sample chambers where the sensors are in remote chambers and exhaust is brought to them by small tubes. You can see what I mean in that thread: http://www.turbominis.co.uk/forums/inde ... tid=300943.

Jean
thats interesting. I may look into that. Id really like to try these aem units. Matt do you know if that controller is compatable with ms3p?
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by racingmini_mtl »

The problem with pre-turbo AFR monitoring is twofold: pressure and temperature. The AEM unit is supposed to compensate for pressure (I put it that way because I have no idea how well it actually works) but you still need to get rid of the heat which may or may not be easy. The sample chambers take care of both issues. And you should note that a too high temperature will kill sensors in addition to giving wrong AFR values.

If you do end up using the AEM unit please do post your findings here. I'd be really interested in hearing independent feedback.

Jean
jbperf.com Main site . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . jbperf.com Forum
jsimmons
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by jsimmons »

According to what ive read,they use a special stainless bung thats finned to help dissipate heat. Although im not sure how effective it is. if I do try it I'll order only 1 controller and run a o 2 sensor in each bank to test it with another 02 sensor sensor thats knowen to work after the turbo. I'm still a long way away from being able to do any of this just planning right now.
jsimmons
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by jsimmons »

another thing to note here is today's turbos if setup properly don't have all that much back pressure as setups of the past. while there is still pressure they're not nearly as bad as it use to be if you have a properly setup hot side.

when the readings are skewed by pressure does anybody know if it tends to read richer or leaner?
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by racingmini_mtl »

As far as I know, increased pressure will bring AFR readings closer to stoic. That means richer than stoic will read as leaner and leaner than stoic will read as richer.

Jean