Timing Light reading 70 degrees

A general forum and a place for initial or prospective users. See Manuals/Documentation
Click here to enter
Contact a Forum Administrator
If unsure where to post, post in this sub-forum.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

kjones6039
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Timing Light reading 70 degrees

Post by kjones6039 »

pbreaction wrote:i didn't build my engine and when i asked him to mark TDC the heads were already on and he said the ecu does it automatically...
My previous remark was in response to the above, posted by the OP. I relied on the absolute wording which, in my interpretation, implied that the ecu would establish TDC "automatically". I continue to contend that the OP was provided erroneous information.

What I will say, without equivocation, is if I don't set my tooth #1 angle correctly, the engine will neither start nor run and knowing the tooth location (teeth between missing tooth and sensor at TDC) is essential to determining the proper tooth #1 angle.

Apparently I have overloaded my a$$ again.

Ken
1979 Corvette - 383 CID SBC w/ Holley Pro-Jection 900 CFM TBI, 4-85 lb lo-z injectors & Walbro 255 pump
MS2 v3 w/extra 3.4.2 Release
36-1, Delphi LS2/7 coils in wasted spark, driven by v2.0 logic board from JBPerformance
Spartan Lambda Sensor from 14point7
TinyIOX from JBPerformance
pbreaction
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by pbreaction »

Well that's the weird thing ... the engine runs... not the greatest... but we did put it on the dyno and it made 315 whp so its running well enough to not blow up on the dyno

And again i got into this car hobby less then a year ago so i don't have enough experience to "listen" to an engine and tell whether its running sluggish or excellent. All i know is my neighbors don't like it when i turn it on... HA

So with out taking off every thing on the front of the engine including timing cover is there a way to find this angle? Maybe with the logger?
2000 Firebird V6 to LS3 swap.
MS3 Pro
billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by billr »

Actually, it is quite easy to determine that "tooth offset" without disturbing anything on the engine, but it requires absolute confidence in the crank timing mark and the strobe light. You are using the "piston stop" method for finding TDC, one of the best methods, but I urge you to have somebody else check your procedure to make sure you are doing it correctly. After that, we come back to the timing light issue. Have you used a simple non-dial-back light yet?
kjones6039
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by kjones6039 »

pbreaction wrote:Well that's the weird thing ... the engine runs... not the greatest... but we did put it on the dyno and it made 315 whp so its running well enough to not blow up on the dyno
At the risk of being redundant, I find it extremely unlikely that your engine will start/run at 70* BTDC!!!
So with out taking off every thing on the front of the engine including timing cover is there a way to find this angle? Maybe with the logger?
Where in the world are the wheel and sensor located on an LS3, for cryin' out loud?? :shock:

Ken
1979 Corvette - 383 CID SBC w/ Holley Pro-Jection 900 CFM TBI, 4-85 lb lo-z injectors & Walbro 255 pump
36-1, Delphi LS2/7 coils in wasted spark, driven by v2.0 logic board from JBPerformance
billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by billr »

"At the risk of being redundant, I find it extremely unlikely that your engine will start/run at 70* BTDC!!!"

Yeah, I think we are all in agreement with you there. There has to be something wrong in how the OP is reading the timing. New eyes on it, good timing light... that's all I can come up with.
kjones6039
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by kjones6039 »

billr wrote:New eyes on it, good timing light... that's all I can come up with.
I agree.

I also want to pose an additional question to the OP, pretty much unrelated to the erroneous timing readings he is experiencing....... How did you come up with a 15* Tooth #1 Angle without knowing where the sensor is in relation to the missing teeth?

Ken
old guy
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by old guy »

kjones6039 wrote:
billr wrote:New eyes on it, good timing light... that's all I can come up with.
I agree.

I also want to pose an additional question to the OP, pretty much unrelated to the erroneous timing readings he is experiencing....... How did you come up with a 15* Tooth #1 Angle without knowing where the sensor is in relation to the missing teeth?

Ken

Thats what I was wondering. Has anyone heard of an LS1 using a 60-2 wheel?
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Post by jsmcortina »

old guy wrote:Thats what I was wondering. Has anyone heard of an LS1 using a 60-2 wheel?
Not strictly LS1, no. Gen4 small blocks use "58X" which is 60-2.
Some people might still call that an LS1 even though it isn't precisely.

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".
pbreaction
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by pbreaction »

Got the 15 degrees from the manual... and again it says check with a timing light... how i don't know
MS3 Pro
old guy
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by old guy »

This needs to be confirmed with a timing light and adjusted accordingly.

Change the tooth #1 angle until you get the right reading on your timing light.

This manual suggests 84 for a 58x wheel.

http://www.msextra.com/doc/pdf/html/MS3 ... e-1.3.html
pbreaction
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by pbreaction »

ok that setting scales the timing correctly.... but moving the number up seems to work until 60... then the engine dies... so not able to get to 84
MS3 Pro
pbreaction
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by pbreaction »

here is the log of moving from 55 to 60
MS3 Pro
billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by billr »

Have you used a simple timing light to verify the MS timing corresponds to the crank, and that it stays constant throughout the rpm range? Until we are certain timing is accurate logs are pretty meaningless. When a log shows running at 10 BTDC we need to know that the #1 plug is firing at 10 BTDC.
pbreaction
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by pbreaction »

Ok well no one i know has a non dial back timing light... but am i wrong in saying the a dial back timing light is a non when set to 0... and 2 timing lights made 15 years apart are reading the same exact thing i am pretty sure its ok to assume that the lights are working as intended.

Ok does anyone know the answer to my previous 55 to 60 question....

i read through this post and it all makes sense...
http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 01&t=48400

is there a reason the manual says set the angle to 15...
MS3 Pro
pbreaction
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by pbreaction »

also i cant seem to find much info on installing the tooth wheel does it only fit in one position? i am going to take off the starter and crank sensor and start counting teeth tonight.
MS3 Pro
kjones6039
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by kjones6039 »

kjones6039 wrote:At the risk of being redundant, I find it extremely unlikely that your engine will start/run at 70* BTDC!!!
Here I am, being redundant again!!! :lol:

Notwithstanding all other considerations, I have to stand by my earlier statement (quoted above)! Something is way wrong here!

I'll be interested to see how the tooth counting goes. While you're counting teeth, be sure to determine what tooth the sensor is on when at TDC.

Ken
billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by billr »

"Ok does anyone know the answer to my previous 55 to 60 question...."

Most (all?) of us can't comment on that because we have no clue what crank angle it really relates to. The run-log, of course shows a steady 10 degrees BTDC. So what does that "55-60" mean? Are you saying when MS sets 10 BTDC the #1 plug fires in the 55-70 BTDC range? Most (again, all?) of us don't believe the engine can run under any appreciable load with that much spark advance, so are convinced either both those dial-back lights are tripping you up or your procedure for making/reading the timing marks is flawed. Get a good timing light (non-dial-back) and get another set of eyes to check your work. Yes, I'm being just as "redundant" as Ken, but I feel it is the only appropriate comment I can make at this point. Since you have a missing-tooth crank wheel (60-2), I would switch to "wasted COP" and eliminate any possibilities that something in the cam sensing is tripping you up.

Edit: My gut-feeling is that you are reading 55-70 degrees ATDC on the cylinder preceding #1
kjones6039
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by kjones6039 »

billr wrote:My gut-feeling is that you are reading 55-70 degrees ATDC on the cylinder preceding #1
:idea: :idea: :o :shock: Ya don't suppose :?: :?: :?:

I just gotta put my pencil to that possibility!

After my nap, that is.......

Ken
pbreaction
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by pbreaction »

well i counted teeth and i have indeed 14 teeth between TDC and tooth #1 making it 84 degrees
MS3 Pro
pbreaction
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by pbreaction »

Wasted cop doesn't help

Is there anyone in houston that might be willing to help next week every I know ... this is way above their head
MS3 Pro