Difference (seting up and features) between msextra and b&g

A general forum and a place for initial or prospective users. See Manuals/Documentation
Click here to enter
Contact a Forum Administrator
If unsure where to post, post in this sub-forum.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

Supernova_6969
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Difference (seting up and features) between msextra and b&g

Post by Supernova_6969 »

okay, this is a question that I feel must have been asked a million times, but i looked around quite a bit and I can't quite figure out where to get the answer.
I currently am using original B&G code on a car that I bought already tuned (really badly but working) with a megasquirt 2 ecu running b&g code.
I myself wouldn't have known how to set it up in the first place. Now that I've owned the car for a little while I'm more comfortable. I've tuned the car in all sorts of way, I've set up things that weren't set up in the first place (ego, x-tau), and am now comfortable playing with the tune. However I still wouldn't know how to set up a car from scratch.
I'm currently running into issues with my setup and have posted here but was told that I should be posting somewhere else, which makes some sense. However I am wondering whether or not it would be worth it for me to make the switch to MS extra.
specifically my questions are the following:

-is there more to installing msextra than changing the jumper and flashing the new code?
-can I just copy paste all my original data in the same places (all the timing, tables, fuel, etc data) and get the same thing i have now ( and then build from there with the msextra extra features)?
-where can i find a clear list of, or if there is none what are the things that msextra offers over b&g code?
-is there more support for one or the other code? I.e. is the msextra community more active or better than the b&g bunch?

Thanks
Ps if there is a site or other post that has this info (posted clearly in layman's terms), please hook me up!
1983 Datsun 280zx, inline 6 2.8l, T03/04 turbo, Megasquirt II.
Bought built like that, but completely untuned. Getting better and better one VE table box at a time.
prof315
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Difference (seting up and features) between msextra and

Post by prof315 »

Supernova_6969 wrote: I'm currently running into issues with my setup and have posted here but was told that I should be posting somewhere else, which makes some sense. However I am wondering whether or not it would be worth it for me to make the switch to MS extra.
specifically my questions are the following:

-is there more to installing msextra than changing the jumper and flashing the new code?
-can I just copy paste all my original data in the same places (all the timing, tables, fuel, etc data) and get the same thing i have now ( and then build from there with the msextra extra features)?
-where can i find a clear list of, or if there is none what are the things that msextra offers over b&g code?
-is there more support for one or the other code? I.e. is the msextra community more active or better than the b&g bunch?

Thanks
Ps if there is a site or other post that has this info (posted clearly in layman's terms), please hook me up!
Have you looked at the MS2/Extra manuals yet? Most of your questions are answered in them. And yes MS2/Extra has a MUCH bigger and more active community than the B&G bunch.
Linfert Performance/321 Motorsports
SCCA 2019 SM National Champion Crew Chief
SCCA 2023 FP National Champion Tuner/electrical engineer
100s of MS systems built installed and tuned
Support the developers!
DaveEFI
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by DaveEFI »

I didn't find it that difficult starting from fresh with B&G code on my very first MS. Had it idling in minutes and running reasonably well the same day - enough to have confidence to drive it anywhere. Only by reading the MegaManual, which I printed out, and studied a bit. Also discovered soon afterwards that attempting to use someone else's tune was likely more trouble than it was worth. Might be different if buying a plug and play set-up for a bog standard engine.

If B&G still does everything you need, no point in changing. But has been said, Extra gives many more options.

If I were starting again today (and with hindsight) I'd go for Extra.
Rover SD1 3.5 EFI
MS2 V3
EDIS
Tech Edge O2
London UK.
Supernova_6969
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Supernova_6969 »

Im currently reading the manual and it all seems simple enough, particularly the basic stuff like choosing and calibrating the sensor... except that when i go into tuner studio and open all the sub menus for injectors and fuel and timing, it all gets confusing; i have an idea what the terms mean but no ideas of what values should be put in. Or how to find most of them. I guess ill keep reading..
The one thing i havent figured out is the extra stufff. I haven't come across a section that states "these are the things you can do with extra that you cant with b&g". I've read some info in invarious places but it was usually technical and to the point so i could fully comprehend whay was involved.... That's what i am curious about.
Bought built like that, but completely untuned. Getting better and better one VE table box at a time.
prof315
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by prof315 »

Ok things that can't be done with B&G but can on Extra.

True waste spark and (4 cylinder) sequential ignition.
4 cylinder sequential injection ( with board mods)
Boost control
Launch control
Programmable outputs
Multiple acceleration enrichment modes
More rev limiter options
More sophisticated nitrous set up
Tons more native ignition patterns supported.
Those are the big ones there are lots of other little things

I don't think that there has ever been a side by side feature comparison between B&G and MS2/extra code.

Try downloading the TunerStudio Manual for MS2/Extra. That's the one that will really help you with what you need. Also check out the tool tips in Tuner Studio itself. B&G code has them too.
Support the developers!
Supernova_6969
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Supernova_6969 »

thanks prof.

what you just did is what i was curious about. I read the manual, but without the side-by-side, it's hard to know what's new; everything i read so far seemed like i already had it with my car. I'll check the tuner studio msextra manual, I guess.

out of curiosity, you mention that the board needs to be modded for sequential injection... is that the only thing of the ones you mention where the board needs to be changed?

s.
dontz125
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by dontz125 »

Almost everything there will need some degree of customizing, ranging from a simple jumper between designated pads on the PCB, to delicate mods to the daughter card itself, to wholesale removal and replacement of certain main board components. Decide what you want to do, then read the manual to figure out what needs to be done. Don't be afraid to ask specific questions, but broadly open-ended questions take too much typing and my finger get tired ... :D
Temporarily shut down - back soon!
QuadraMAP Sensor Module -- PWM-to-Stepper Controller -- Dual Coil Driver
Coming soon: OctoMAP Sensor Module
TTR Ignition Systems
prof315
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by prof315 »

dontz125 wrote:Almost everything there will need some degree of customizing, ranging from a simple jumper between designated pads on the PCB, to delicate mods to the daughter card itself, to wholesale removal and replacement of certain main board components. Decide what you want to do, then read the manual to figure out what needs to be done. Don't be afraid to ask specific questions, but broadly open-ended questions take too much typing and my finger get tired ... :D

Don's absolutely right as far as the customizing goes..... The sequential fueling mod I mentioned requires the delicate mods to the MS2 daughterboard itself as well as a lot of changes to the mainboard and that's why I mentioned it. Building multiple spark outputs and other simple I/O circuits is just routine customization in my mind.
Support the developers!
suberimakuri
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by suberimakuri »

Setup a separate new project in tuner studio with extra.
Then open both projects at once with two separate instances of tuner studio.
Go through menus one by one.
Check extra manual for info.

Once done you are ready to try flash extra code.
Worst case is you have to flash back to b&g.
Extra code better.
Supernova_6969
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Supernova_6969 »

Hey suber.
Thanks for the info.
So if i understand correctly, the board, without any mods can run both b&g code AND extra code, but to take advantage of any extra features physical mods would need to be done.
And you can copy the basic settings from one to the other, no problems...
Thaks for this info!
suberimakuri
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by suberimakuri »

You're welcome.
There help boxes should fill in any gaps or the main help PDF files. Good luck. It's the way to go.