MSPNP - tuning options

A general forum and a place for initial or prospective users. See Manuals/Documentation
Click here to enter
Contact a Forum Administrator
If unsure where to post, post in this sub-forum.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

flak monkey
Experienced MS/Extra'er

MSPNP - tuning options

Post by flak monkey »

Apologies if this isn't the right place to ask..

I've been running MS2 Extra in a number of vehicles for a long time and have had really great success with it. I've just bought a Miata/MX5 and I have an old gen1 MSPnP to fit it.

Obviously the code and everything on it is quite old school now, and the tuning software looks to be the defunct Megatune. Is it possible to update and use Tunerstudio at all? Is it as simple as downloading the old Megatune from the MSPNP site - which has all of the ini files in it, pointing TStudio to it and loading the correct MSQ? If so, that all seems nice and simple!

I'm also planning on running a turbo on the car in the next 6 months - so I'm keen to get my head around the MSPnP side of things. :D

ETA: I'm also missing the tuning cable - being based in the UK means shipping one from DIY Autotune is prohibitively expensive - is anyone able to tell me the correct pin assignments? Also the centre connector on the case - I'm missing the pigtail and would like to use some of the features...

TIA,
SJ
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: MSPNP - tuning options

Post by Matt Cramer »

You can use TunerStudio; the main thing is you'll need to copy MegaTune's INC files for the coolant and IAT sensors so the temperatures will read the same. Beyond that, it's just a matter of making a project and connecting; TunerStudio will grab the tune file.

Will see if I can get the cable pinout.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
prof315
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by prof315 »

I have a couple of customers using Gen 1 MSPnPs and use TunerStudio with both of them. Gen1 MSPnPs have to run some form of MS1/Extra code since they control fuel and spark and TS has no problems with MS1/Extra.

All of that said I have been working on convincing the last 2 holdouts to upgrade to MS2 as MS1 is basically obsolete now. It's simply a matter of shuffling some jumpers and replacing the MS1 processor with an MS2 daughterboard.

I'm not sure where you can get the missing stuff other than from DIYAutoTune.
Linfert Performance/321 Motorsports
SCCA 2019 SM National Champion Crew Chief
SCCA 2023 FP National Champion Tuner/electrical engineer
100s of MS systems built installed and tuned
Support the developers!
flak monkey
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by flak monkey »

Matt, That's great thank you - a pinout would be really helpful :)

I think I've got it set up in TS now - will try it out over the weekend and see how it goes.

Prof315, I'd normally use MS2 to be honest, but this one was available and it seemed sensible to use it. Could you shed any light on what's needed to convert it to MS2?
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

Ok, here's the pinout.

DIN 1 - DB9 9
DIN 2 - DB9 3
DIN 3 - DB9 2
DIN 4 - DB9 5
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
flak monkey
Experienced MS/Extra'er