Has anybody done a MS installation onto a VW WBX motor?

A general forum and a place for initial or prospective users. See Manuals/Documentation
Click here to enter
Contact a Forum Administrator
If unsure where to post, post in this sub-forum.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

ozzi_in_the_uk
MS/Extra Newbie

Has anybody done a MS installation onto a VW WBX motor?

Post by ozzi_in_the_uk »

Hi MSEXTRA community.

I have been visiting this forum for quite sometime now and think it's super, but I have only just summoned the courage to actually register and post this topic.
My name is Jay, and I live in the South West of England, and I own a South African VW type 25 (or in the US Vanagon) 2.1 Ltr WBX Microbus.
So I am new to this site, but have been intersted in conveting my vehicle across to MS for quite a while now. I love the van and the WBX 2.1 (DJ) engine, but it came out of the factory (30 yrs ago) fitted with the BOSCH Digijet Fuel injection system, and although it was state of the art all them years ago and that it still just manages to get me down the road, I can't help but get frustrated with the following:

1. Ever increasing lack of replacement parts, and the high cost of replacement parts that still are avaliable.
3. The lack of tunabilty to the system for optimising power and economy.
5. It not designed for full engine management, but just crude Electronic fuel injection and mechanical ignition advance and retard. With no dynamic stoich control whatsoever!

So although I have searched the 'tinternet' high and low for a thread that covers a MS application on a VW wasseboxer engine (either 1.9 or 2.1), I have not been able to find anything, apart from a small snippet from 'Subwoofer', but unfortunatley the thread had only a handful of enteries before it went dead, way back in 2012.

So I am wondering whether there is anybody on this forum whom has, or knows of someone whom has succesfuly completed a MS installation to a VW WBX engine? As although I am a qualified meachanic (some 30 years ago) and completley comfortable with all things mecanical, motor related and I understand all the basic pricniples of fuel delivery/injection including automotive electriacl, my college didn't even offer EFI as a module when I qualified as a mechanic all them yeasr ago, ..cos we were all still carburation back then (Australia), I am lacking the confidence to venture out into this on my own :oops:

So although I despratley want to try and move forward with this, I can't help but wish I could draw some confidence from someone elses expeirence or build thread whom may have done this one before.

I hope all that makes sense, and thanking you all in adavnce for any assistence or advise that may be offered my way.

Regards

Ozzi
1998 - South African Microbus - Suabru Ej25 with EJ22 twin port heads & MS3x
subwoofer
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Has anybody done a MS installation onto a VW WBX motor?

Post by subwoofer »

My DJ is very much alive, please ask away! Daily driver, 11km/l on longer drives on a Syncro, 9km/l around town on ordinary 95RON fuel. Only tuned on the street, probably more to gain by taking it to a proper steady state dyno.
Joachim
1974 Jensen-Healey
1990 VW Caravelle Syncro - running MS3+X
2014 Ford Fiesta EcoBoost
Paul_VR6
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Paul_VR6 »

I have built two ms2s for guys with wbx. Pretty simple setup, both had later dizzys which were locked timing (not sure what year those are). Wired hall from the dizzy to the ms input and direct drove the coil with the ms.
-Paul
1992 Corrado SLC 3.6 VR6 11.38@120 - MS3 Pro Ultimate - Microsquirt I/O - Can EGT - Racepak IQ3s
kptuned.com - Megasquirting the World! Megasquirt Sales, Service, Tuning and More!
LickyLickerson
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by LickyLickerson »

Also looking to Microsquirt my vanagon. Order the kit and waiting for delivery.

Please share with me a base map?

I am also planning to use stock distributor and have MS control the coil. I have installed a GW 2.45L engine last year and i just cant get enough fuel delivery AFR is between 14 - 16. I am going to gut an old airflow meter to run intake temp sensor.

Questions, Can i run stock coolant temp sensor? is there a calibration number? or do i have to calibrate out of car with water with known temps? Where is a good spot to port map sensor? Did you adapt TPS to your throttle body or just use MAP? Can i use ms to control stock idle control valve? how?

Thanks.
'91 Syncro 16 Transporter
Paul_VR6
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Paul_VR6 »

LickyLickerson wrote:Also looking to Microsquirt my vanagon. Order the kit and waiting for delivery.

Please share with me a base map?

I am also planning to use stock distributor and have MS control the coil. I have installed a GW 2.45L engine last year and i just cant get enough fuel delivery AFR is between 14 - 16. I am going to gut an old airflow meter to run intake temp sensor.

Questions, Can i run stock coolant temp sensor? is there a calibration number? or do i have to calibrate out of car with water with known temps? Where is a good spot to port map sensor? Did you adapt TPS to your throttle body or just use MAP? Can i use ms to control stock idle control valve? how?

Thanks.
Bosch/Saab is the cal for these sensors. Map just needs to go to the plenum after the tb. I thought the wbx tb only has idle/wot switches which aren’t useable with ms. Worth double checking. 2-3 wire valves can be controlled easily with Micro.
-Paul
1992 Corrado SLC 3.6 VR6 11.38@120 - MS3 Pro Ultimate - Microsquirt I/O - Can EGT - Racepak IQ3s
kptuned.com - Megasquirting the World! Megasquirt Sales, Service, Tuning and More!
LickyLickerson
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by LickyLickerson »

OK, Ill try the bosch/saab temp numbers.
TB does only have idle/WOT switch, same switch that activates in either position. Thought I can run MS with just MAP though right? Also bought bosch TPS to see if i can adapt to myThrottle Body. pretty sure it will fit if i remove the idle/WOT switch. Would love to find a base map somewhere now :P
'91 Syncro 16 Transporter
Paul_VR6
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Paul_VR6 »

You can run map only, but over run and accel is a little harder to tune.

For a basemap just use the maps in the firmware, they are an ok start. I have some fuel/timing from wbx but they are all “aircooled” ones.
-Paul