Relay/wiring help

A general forum and a place for initial or prospective users. See Manuals/Documentation
Click here to enter
Contact a Forum Administrator
If unsure where to post, post in this sub-forum.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

jsimmons
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Relay/wiring help

Post by jsimmons »

Im driving myself nuts lol... ok heres what im doing.. Ms3 pro on a turbo coyote.. this is a race car so there will be no key or ign switch so to speak. Im wanting to use a arc switch panel http://www.jegs.com/i/ARC-Auto-Rod-Cont ... R/10002/-1
so that being said, my fuel pump, fans, electric water pump, lights, starter, intercooler pump ect will all be manually turned on by the arc panel. So that leaves only basic functions of the engine itself too the ecu. The reason for this is in case of a accident I would like to be able to turn everything off inside the car via the switch panel. and id like to have control of the fans in the pits to cool the engine down.
what additional relays would I need for controlling engine functions? Matt has said to be any relay controlled by the ecu must be triggered by ground. do coils, injectors, vvt stuff or any other sensors need relays?

Now im not sure how the arc panel actually switch's the relays. Can I use this panel for the main relay for the ecu? basically id like to have all my switched 12v power come off this panel but im unsure weather or not it will work like I think.. Im confusing the s*** out of my self and running myself in circles with all this wiring crap lol.. I new too the stand alone world so please be easy on me lol.. I dunno someone help me out if you get where im confused.. if not ill try to explain it better
LAV1000
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Relay/wiring help

Post by LAV1000 »

I wouldn't use that unit, to much elektronics to my taste.
In a racecar you use the KI(S)S principle, Keep It (Stupid) Simple.

To swich everything off use a battery ground switch,for instance:
http://www.amazon.com/Battery-Cut-Off-S ... B0017W1ZP4

Let the MS unit control its coils,injectors, fans.
If you want to switch the fans manual use a override switch, for instance:
http://nl.mouser.com/ProductDetail/NKK- ... 5NW4bds%3d

Use it to switch the trigger signal between the MS unit, or ground/power to its relay.
Don't use a switch whit a off position, big change you forget to switch it in its good position.
And keep the MS-system fusebox at easily accessible place.
jsimmons
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by jsimmons »

well I was able to find out today that the arc panel sends power to the component that its controlling. According to the ms3pro manual(page32) I should be able to power up the pcm, inj and fuel pump via this panel because its sending power out right? Another thing I have a question on, when using a bored like this, I believe power comes in on a single wire to the board and that power is split between the relays and its component's its controlling. Would there be a risk of noisy signals with it wired like this? or would there be protection against that on the board?

Also looking through some factory wiring harness diagrams, I could only find 13 relays in the schematics.

1. Fuel pump and inj share the same relay as far as I could tell
2. high and low speed relays for the fan
3. rear window defrost (not needed)
4. Blower motor (not needed)
5. wipers (not needed)
6. starter relay
7. charge air cooler. not sure what it is.. anyone have any idea?
8. ac clutch (not needed)
9. pcm power relay.. there was also a pcm power diode, im guessing to stop voltage flyback?
10. accessory delay relay.. ??
11. 2 relays for heated seats (not needed)

As far as I can tell, ill only need 4 or 5 relays for the engine depending on if I run a 2 speed fan or not. Does that sound right?
So after that, things that I know ill have the ms3pro controlling will be

the built in bump box
2 and 3 step (3step not really mandatory, depends on the number of I/o I have left)
traction control
boost control
built in delay box
maybe something else im missing

Out of those features, which require a relay? I would guess most of them lol.. I don't mind adding separate relays down the road as I start using these features. I know a lot of people that I race with like to wire the transbrake up direct as some of them say having a relay can cause inconstancies in the release. I dunno if there is any truth too that, but that's a absolute no no for me, maybe someone can shed some light on that for me.

Sorry for the long winded post, im just trying to make sure I have all this right in my head before I start buying the stuff to wire this in.
Ollie8974
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by Ollie8974 »

Do as LAV1000 recommended. You do not need all that elaborate electronics.
You need to under stand how MS works, because MS can control every thing you are asking questions about.
I would suggest reading the Manuals linked at the top of this page,
before you spend a lot of Money on unnecessary and dangerous parts.
You will need a relay for the fuel pump.
When the key (switch) is activated, the fuel pump activates for a few seconds then shuts off, if the engine is not started right away.
When MS receives an RPM signal the fuel pump is activated, along with the injectors and ignition, for engine start and run.
MS can be wired with a roll over switch to shut off MS in case of a roll over
The electric fans can be wired to continue to run by setting the low temp, on the temp gauge, and some extra wiring.
Last edited by Ollie8974 on Fri Aug 14, 2015 8:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
pbreaction
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by pbreaction »

you could make something like this for 50.00 tops

https://www.ronfrancis.com/prodinfo.asp?number=SP-70

And if for some reason you wanted to manually turn every thing off you could put a rely in series with all the components you have mentioned... But like has been said before me its quite unnecessary and is also a pain in the ass trust me i had my fans on a switch and there has been a few times i ve forgotten to turn them on and i get notified by my engine temp going above 225...

just my 2 Cents
2000 Firebird V6 to LS3 swap.
MS3 Pro
jsimmons
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by jsimmons »

Well its a race car and there will be no street driving with it. Also, my brothers car is set up the exact same way as im wanting to set mine up.. More or less incase one of us needs to drive each others car they are both set up the same and there is no learning curve as far as controls are concerned. After thinking about it some i may just wire the fans and set them up to turn off above say 90% tps.. As far as forgetting to turn them on, while it's possible, it's unlikely. We have a routine for every pass, a check list if you will.. Its been burned in our heads for a while now. Things just feel off if you dont do everything the same every time. As for right now, im still thinking about how to wire everything.. I only want to have to do it once
jsimmons
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by jsimmons »

Also with that arc panel, it really doesnt get much simpler than that. Power wire goes to the main lug on the board, same with a ground wire.. Then a power wire goes out from the board (which is what the big harness is for) to the component the relay is controlling. The switch panel has a ribben wire attached to it and the board and that ground switches the relay to send power out.. Pretty simple imo.. This relay panel/board is in a ton of race cars.. Everyone i know is using one..

Not trying to sound stubborn or anything.. Your guys advice is greatly appreciated and is being taken into consideration.
LAV1000
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by LAV1000 »

First of all I'am not offended.
I like stubborn people, otherwise we still lived in caves !
jsimmons wrote: After thinking about it some i may just wire the fans and set them up to turn off above say 90% tps..
What I don't understad, you shut the fans off at 90% tps ?
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Post by jsmcortina »

LAV1000 wrote:What I don't understad, you shut the fans off at 90% tps ?
Save engine horsepower when you want it to the wheels.

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".
jsimmons
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by jsimmons »

jsmcortina wrote:
LAV1000 wrote:What I don't understad, you shut the fans off at 90% tps ?
Save engine horsepower when you want it to the wheels.

James
Yep! thats the theroy anyway.. Ive never seen any data to support the claim especially with electric fans. but I'm looking to run in the 140mph range in the 1/8th mile. I'm not sure the fan would do much at that speed anyway..not to mention I'll be running the smallest battery that I can in this application, the less current draw on a run the better
LAV1000
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by LAV1000 »

I get it.
Ignition also sequential then to save power ?
jsimmons
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by jsimmons »

LAV1000 wrote:I get it.
Ignition also sequential then to save power ?

Its a cop setup.. I've never heard of it referred to as sequential ignition.. thinking about it a waste spark setup wouldnt be sequential