MS1 vs MS3 - Batch vs Sequential Firing

A general forum and a place for initial or prospective users. See Manuals/Documentation
Click here to enter
Contact a Forum Administrator
If unsure where to post, post in this sub-forum.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

garrycol
Helpful MS/Extra'er

MS1 vs MS3 - Batch vs Sequential Firing

Post by garrycol »

Looking for information to help me decide which MS will best suit my needs.

The engine is a Rover V8 4.6 - I have access to both the older 4CUX hotwire injection system that is batch fired or a Thor Motronics system that was sequential fired.

My research has shown that while ultimately sequential injection is better than batch fired, in reality at decent revs there is no real difference in engine performance and it is only at lower revs that there may be an improvement with sequential. Is my assumption correct? I am not after a performance engine just one that delivers good power and the best possible fuel consumption.

If I went the 4CUX batch fired system, I assume a MS1 system would work it fine - given the price different in the MS1 and MS3 ECUs, would there be any advantage in going MS3?

If I went the Thor Motronics sequential system - what would be the advantage or disadvantage in going with MS1 and running the system as a batch fired system or going to MS3 and going the full sequential system.

Thanks

Garry
DaveEFI
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: MS1 vs MS3 - Batch vs Sequential Firing

Post by DaveEFI »

You can use sequential with the hotwire inlet if you want. Or probably batch with the Thor. The two types of inlet are very different. The Thor gives better low to middle end torque compared to the hotwire, but at the expense of the top end.
As a rough guide, the Thor is probably better for off road, the hotwire better for a road car or sports.

If the engine is standard and the Thor suits your application, I'd be inclined to stay with the Motronic. It can be modified to work stand alone. I don't think MS will give any advantage over the Motronic - unless of course the engine is modified and requires mapping for that.

The hotwire has a stepper idle motor. MS2 includes a stepper motor driver. MS1, not.

If funds are tight, you could consider an MS3 base with the hotwire and batch, and add the X card later to go sequential
Rover SD1 3.5 EFI
MS2 V3
EDIS
Tech Edge O2
London UK.