Would like some info and advice on Megasquirt ECU

A general forum and a place for initial or prospective users. See Manuals/Documentation
Click here to enter
Contact a Forum Administrator
If unsure where to post, post in this sub-forum.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

pete3651
MS/Extra Newbie

Would like some info and advice on Megasquirt ECU

Post by pete3651 »

Hi.

My name is Pete.

I have recently acquired a MK Indy Kitcar as an unfinished project. I am having some issues with getting it running though. It came fitted with a Honda CBR900RRY 2000/1 Fireblade Engine. The Engine is, 4-cylinder, Fuel Injected, Coil on Plug with all standard Honda parts which were originally fitted when on the bike. The engine I believe is from a salvage bike. I have the ECU and wiring harness, but the vehicle didn't come with the appropriate Honda HISS/immobilizer system which is fitted on European model bikes.

I believe that the ECU and Wiring harness which I have are now defunct, since it is missing the other parts for the HISS System. I am lead to believe that MegaSquirt would now be the way to go with regards to an appropriate ECU.

So basically, I am looking for some information and some guidance on what would be the best ECU Kit for this particular engine and whether a Megasquirt ECU would be compatible with this engine. I would like to know before I commit to a purchase. Also if anybody else who has fitted a MegaSquirt ECU to this engine, could offer some support, that would cool. :D

I would say I am fairly clued up on vehicle mechanics, but not so much with motorcycles. So if any other assistance can be offered from anybody about this particular engine, it would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance for any help that can be offered. :D
grom_e30
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Would like some info and advice on Megasquirt ECU

Post by grom_e30 »

do you have any further i information on the engine like what crank and cam sensors it runs and some information on the number of teeth/tooth pattern on the crank trigger wheel? are the coils a cdi type coil or an inductive type? any information on the rest of the stock engine sensors and will you be planning to run some form of an idle control valve?

you could potentially run it with a ms2, microsquirt, ms3 or the ms3 pro. depends on what you are looking for really. im running a gsxr1000 with a microsquirt with batch fire fuel and fully sequential ignition but that does not leave a great deal more inputs or outputs left over, and cannot do sequential fuel.

a ms2 with some mods could do sequential fuel and ignition, and with the ms3 or ms3 pro the sky is the limit.

http://www.msextra.com/ gives you a bit more info on the various different ecu's
1990 bmw 320i daily driver with m20b25 ms3 sequential fuel, 380cc injectors, d585 coil near plug, home made cam sync, launch control, fan control, vss, homebrew egt logging what's next????
pete3651
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by pete3651 »

Hi thanks for the reply,
Please find below a list of fitted parts/sensors from the limited info I can find from the engine and or shop manual that have, Hope this helps as I said in my first post my knowledge on bike engines/parts is very little and any help you guys could offer would be great

cam sensor-cam pulse generator
crank- ignition pulse generator 12 teeth/tooth
coils-denso p/No. 129700-3881 J0388
intake air sensor
map sensor-denso ps 38 5volt
T P sonsor 4.5 -5.5 volts
ECT sensor-cooling water
fast idle wax unit
regards Pete
grom_e30
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by grom_e30 »

so it appears from google that your crank and cam sensors are vr sensors (both have 2 wires) no problems there. it does appear that you have a 12 tooth non missing wheel on the crank, with the non missing tooth wheel you would need a cam sensor as well, your cam sensor pick up is quite a weird tooth pattern it has 3 unequally spaced teeth i think this will give you a problem. so you have 2 options here....

firstly remove 2 consecutive teeth from the crank wheel and make it a 12-2 (10 physical teeth) and run just the crank sensor this would give enough engine position information for semi sequential fuel and a wasted spark setup.

or

you could fabricate a new timing plate for the camshaft / modifie your existing one so there is oly 1 tooth on the cam plate, it appears its just a plate that bolts up to the non timing chain end of the cam so shouldn't be to hard to get to or to make.

the air,water temp and map sensor should work fine but you will need the calibration data for them either from a work shop manual or you can work this out, for the temp sensors you would need to know the resistance the sensors measure at 3 different temperatures in order to calibrate the new ecu but with a thermometer and an ohm meter its easily done. the map sensor you would be a bit more difficult but is possible to work out depending on what ecu you go with (ms2 + ms3) have one built in and would just need to connect a vac pipe to it.

throttle position sensor im guessing it will be a potentiometer type no worries there.

fast idle wax unit im guessing will be dependant on the engine coolant a bit like a thermostat / auto choke so no worries there.

for the coild do they give any ohms readings for them?
1990 bmw 320i daily driver with m20b25 ms3 sequential fuel, 380cc injectors, d585 coil near plug, home made cam sync, launch control, fan control, vss, homebrew egt logging what's next????
pete3651
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by pete3651 »

Hi again thanks for the reply,
the only ref: I can find is from the workshop manual for the ignition coils/system
ignition coil peak voltage - 100v minimum
ignition pulse generator peak voltage - 0.7v minimum
readings to be taken with a metre greater than 10m ohm/dcv
also looking at the wiring diagrams I have for the oem ecu this does show the cam sensor as 2 wire and 3 tooth rota

regards Pete
grom_e30
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by grom_e30 »

looking at it i think the coils are inductive coils so you should be able to use those as well, the things you will have problems with are going to be the things like the flap valve in the exhaust and the airbox and the emisions stuff like the pair valve if there is any electrical stuff to go with it and the carbon can. but if you can get by without those and you are happy to mod the trigger wheels then i think you could quite happily run the engine with a megasquirt.
pete3651
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by pete3651 »

Thanks very much for your advice and time spent into looking at these problems for me
Kind regards Pete