Attachments cleanup

A general forum and a place for initial or prospective users. See Manuals/Documentation
Click here to enter
Contact a Forum Administrator
If unsure where to post, post in this sub-forum.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

Laminar
Master MS/Extra'er

Re: Attachments cleanup

Post by Laminar »

Raymond_B wrote:My final post on this, but you guys realize he only killed old attachments not threads themselves right? Can you point to a good example of some sort of valuable nugget that has been lost?
I did - tune files, especially from the "success stories" section. People finish their car, post there, then leave and never come back. If their tune is gone and they're gone, the knowledge, time, and effort they put into developing that tune is gone, too.
Six_Shooter
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Six_Shooter »

Laminar wrote:
Raymond_B wrote:My final post on this, but you guys realize he only killed old attachments not threads themselves right? Can you point to a good example of some sort of valuable nugget that has been lost?
I did - tune files, especially from the "success stories" section. People finish their car, post there, then leave and never come back. If their tune is gone and they're gone, the knowledge, time, and effort they put into developing that tune is gone, too.
As above this will be an issue going forward, with missing attachments, especially in the success stories section.

Myself I haven't come across any issues yet, because I did all of my hardware research before this deletion happened, so I've already found the info I needed, or at least believe I needed. Once I get to actually trying to get my engine to run on the MS is another story, and one where I might find issues with missing attachments.
Tha Toy: 1973 Datsun 240Z Turbocharged, and loads of fun, now MS'd
Tha Otha Toy: 1923 T-bucket Hot Rod, Currently Sniper'd
Tha Daily: 2005 Chevy Blazer
Tha Summer Daily: 1987 Buick Skyhawk hatchback
Tha Long Term Project: 1985 GMC S-10 Jimmy, hasn't been fun for a while
kjones6039
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by kjones6039 »

this will be an issue going forward
d***..... and I was hoping it would go away all by itself! :o

Come on gang....... Let's give it a break......

It is what it is! I doubt that the deletion of a few attachments will affect the outcome of very many installs.

This is still the best support forum of them all!!! :yeah!:

Ken
1979 Corvette - 383 CID SBC w/ Holley Pro-Jection 900 CFM TBI, 4-85 lb lo-z injectors & Walbro 255 pump
MS2 v3 w/extra 3.4.2 Release
36-1, Delphi LS2/7 coils in wasted spark, driven by v2.0 logic board from JBPerformance
Spartan Lambda Sensor from 14point7
TinyIOX from JBPerformance
billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by billr »

I don't think this was the first "pruning", one was done a couple of years ago. Has anybody noticed those "missing" attachments, haven't we all managed to enjoy MS anyway?
Six_Shooter
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Six_Shooter »

billr wrote:I don't think this was the first "pruning", one was done a couple of years ago. Has anybody noticed those "missing" attachments, haven't we all managed to enjoy MS anyway?

I had noticed a lot of missing attachments prior to this latest bout of deletion, and it caused me to look at other sources and other threads to try and find the missing information. I had assumed that the missing attachments were due to a forum update or similar, not manual deletion of the attachments.

This idea is a huge dis-service to the users of the forum. Leaving the attachments would make it easier for users to find the information that is needed and cut down on the need to ask the same question repeatedly. The threads with the information can easily be referenced instead of the need to re-upload the same attachments repeatedly as well.

Yes, I realize that it's months or years between these prunings, but it's still a bad idea IMO. This is the first forum I've come across that does this and I'm flabbergasted that it's even done on a site that gets into some pretty technical discussions where some attachments help to make things clear or help people looking for that same information.
Tha Toy: 1973 Datsun 240Z Turbocharged, and loads of fun, now MS'd
Tha Otha Toy: 1923 T-bucket Hot Rod, Currently Sniper'd
Tha Daily: 2005 Chevy Blazer
Tha Summer Daily: 1987 Buick Skyhawk hatchback
Tha Long Term Project: 1985 GMC S-10 Jimmy, hasn't been fun for a while
muythaibxr
Site Admin

Post by muythaibxr »

I'm closing this thread. Attachments will be pruned periodically based on date.... would you rather we spend a lot of time selectively pruning or writing features in the firmware?

Thanks,

Ken
Megasquirt is not for use on pollution controlled vehicles. Any advice I give is for off road use only.