Saab 9-3

A general forum and a place for initial or prospective users. See Manuals/Documentation
Click here to enter
Contact a Forum Administrator
If unsure where to post, post in this sub-forum.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

Rotxam
MS/Extra Newbie

Saab 9-3

Post by Rotxam »

Saab 9-3 2004- 2008, MS3 possible?
billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Saab 9-3

Post by billr »

Sure, if it is a spark-ignited engine (not diesel). Can you give more info on what details concern you?
Rotxam
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Rotxam »

I read this on other forum.

----- The electrical systems that control every bit of the car's functionality are so interconnected, I doubt you'd ever be able to get the MS to play nice with all of them for a seamless install. I don't know if the stock ECU is on the optical network, but I'm almost certain its on the CAN. If you were planning on ditching basically everything but the engine, chassis & suspension, then there's no reason why you couldn't, but for a daily-driven car with a radio, climate control etc, I don't think it'd be worthwhile. ------
billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by billr »

I have no experience with anything that has the PCM controlling accessories, but I have seen several threads here where the OEM PCM was left connected just for those functions; it should be doable.

I gotta say... MS is intended for only "off-road" applications, and I think there are very few off-road daily-drivers. Maybe pro racers who have to be continually testing, and I expect OEM radios and such are of no concern for them. You can certainly get help here with making the OEM creature-comforts work, but I wouldn't expect such support to be a priority for the MS hardware/software developers
Rotxam
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Rotxam »

I search turbo car, low budget for a future Megasquirt convertion.

Daily driver.

Saab 9-3 2.0T 2007
Maybe Audi A4 2002 1.8t
billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by billr »

What is the question?
Rotxam
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Rotxam »

I dont have a specific question, I am in search of a workable project. Have you any suggestions?
DaveEFI
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by DaveEFI »

Rotxam wrote:I dont have a specific question, I am in search of a workable project. Have you any suggestions?
I'd say with a modern injection system you're unlikely to improve on it with MS. Unlike changing from carbs, or early injection. On a road car. Unless the engine is heavily modified.
Rover SD1 3.5 EFI
MS2 V3
EDIS
Tech Edge O2
London UK.
Paul_VR6
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Paul_VR6 »

Rotxam wrote:I search turbo car, low budget for a future Megasquirt convertion.

Daily driver.

Saab 9-3 2.0T 2007
Maybe Audi A4 2002 1.8t
Early drive by cable 1.8t with the aeb code engine are a good candidate.
-Paul
1992 Corrado SLC 3.6 VR6 11.38@120 - MS3 Pro Ultimate - Microsquirt I/O - Can EGT - Racepak IQ3s
kptuned.com - Megasquirting the World! Megasquirt Sales, Service, Tuning and More!
prof315
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by prof315 »

DaveEFI wrote:
Rotxam wrote:I dont have a specific question, I am in search of a workable project. Have you any suggestions?
I'd say with a modern injection system you're unlikely to improve on it with MS. Unlike changing from carbs, or early injection. On a road car. Unless the engine is heavily modified.
Actually the VW/Audi 1.8T responds exceptionally well to an MS installation. Substantial power gains can be found even without modifying the engine and with the proper upgrades i.e. turbo, injectors, intercooler and exhaust 300whp is attainable, though that pushes the stock engine internals to their limit. I suspect the Saab engine also responds well to just tuning as well since it's basically an Ecotec.
Linfert Performance/321 Motorsports
SCCA 2019 SM National Champion Crew Chief
SCCA 2023 FP National Champion Tuner/electrical engineer
100s of MS systems built installed and tuned
Support the developers!