The vehicle model after A.D. 2000

A general forum and a place for initial or prospective users. See Manuals/Documentation
Click here to enter
Contact a Forum Administrator
If unsure where to post, post in this sub-forum.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

ichbinpao
MS/Extra Newbie

The vehicle model after A.D. 2000

Post by ichbinpao »

Hi all

I'm just interesting for the megasquirt tunning as it can assembly and do it on myself. However i have some curious questions as

Why most of the best practice of megasquirt tunning are the old vehicle model especially released before A.D. 2000

Can anyone tell me ? and, if it possible,to tunning the new vehicle such as BMW E60, Toyota camry XV50 , honda Civic FD1 (2005-2011)

if not, what is the limitation for megasquirt to tunning all of the new vehicle model

Thanks

:D
muythaibxr
Site Admin

Re: The vehicle model after A.D. 2000

Post by muythaibxr »

We do not support throttle by wire or direct injection yet.
Megasquirt is not for use on pollution controlled vehicles. Any advice I give is for off road use only.
billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by billr »

Some more reasons...

1) older cars are more likely to have a carb or primitive FI that can be improved on; easier or more precise tuning
2) older cars are also more likely to have a single-coil and distributor that can be improved on similarly
3) old have no BCM/PCM functions that have to be mated to the new (MS) ECU
4) many older ones are no longer subject to emissions inspection, so use of non-certified after-market equipment, like MS, is more practical (still probably not legal, but practical...)
5) newer cars have more intrinsic value "as-is", many of us are DIYers who were drawn to MS by its low cost and are budget-conscious, we can't afford to play with a "new" car
slow_hemi6
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by slow_hemi6 »

Also add to the list that a lot of post 2000 cars can just be hooked up to a flash tuner and tuned using the factory computer. The flash tuners are not cheap but they are cheaper than a full aftermarket ECU and you get to keep all the BCM etc as per factory. They also hold onto the factory std tune so you can revert very easily.
Find the Manuals up top under Quick links: Manuals. :RTFM:
Cheers Luke
Raymond_B
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Raymond_B »

Speaking of flash tuners, sometimes I believe people think Mega/Micro-squirts are like a chip or supplemental tuning device and do not fully understand that it is a full stand alone engine management system. I wonder if FAST, Motec, etc get the same questions :)
1995 Ford Lightning. Dart based 427 Windsor, Novi 2000, full sequential, E-85, etc. MS3X/v3.57
http://www.buildpics.org/
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

There's a couple factors at work here. One is simply the cost of the car itself - most of the cars that you see modified enough to justify a MegaSquirt (or a Motec, Holley Dominator, Haltech, etc) are not daily transportation. So many of them were either selected on a tight budget, or something classic since practicality wasn't a factor.

There are a couple technical difficulties as well - at least if you want the car to function somewhat like stock. (For a race car, these may not be a factor.)
  • Drive by wire throttle
  • Direct injection on very new cars
  • Integrating with existing data buses on the vehicle
That said, we've been seeing a fair number of customers with vehicles or at least engines built after 2000 lately. It's just not quite as large a group as the 1999 and earlier installs.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
ichbinpao
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by ichbinpao »

Thanks for all of your information. Then i have some additional questions about the limitation of Megasquirt as my objective is using the megasquirt to tunning Honda civic or toyota altis with year around AD. 2000 -2010. Then i list the questions as below.

1) Is it the other ECU aftersales market such as AEM, MOTEC, E-Manage, HKS (FCON) smarter than Megasquirts as it is supported the direct injection and drive for wire technology?
2) if i have some new vehicles (supported drive by wire and direct injection technology ), How can i tune or adapt to use Megasquirt and getting the performance as sames as other ECU aftersales market?
3) How can i modify the circuit board of Megasquirt to beat its limitation ? Because i found in the manual of MS-3 Pro can support many engine of many maker such as VVTI, VTEC, Vanos and so on.

if you are known the answers please explain as i am just the beginning for the ecu tunning world.

Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

Two of the items on your list are piggybacks that don't control DBW or (to the best of my knowledge) direct injection. AEM has a drive by wire option but I'm not aware of it supporting direct injection. Motec does have options for both; it is a higher priced ECU and it is perfectly reasonable to expect it to have more features.

Direct injected cars don't have too many options right now. For drive by wire cars with MegaSquirt, you can have the stock ECU controlling the throttle body or swap on a cable operated throttle body.

We are working on getting a drive by wire controller together, but making one of these to the safety standards we want is not a simple operation. We're proceeding carefully - the engineer working on this had a teammate involved in an on-track crash when a competitor's DBW system pinned another car at wide open throttle.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
Manu
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by Manu »

muythaibxr wrote:We do not support throttle by wire or direct injection yet.
Hi Ken,

I like 'yet' !!

Sound like there are plans for future ?

Best,
Manu
I can supply, repair or upgrade Megasquirts in FRANCE.

https://www.megasquirt.fr
muythaibxr
Site Admin

Post by muythaibxr »

Nothing definite, aside from the acknowledgment that we eventually need to support them somehow.
Megasquirt is not for use on pollution controlled vehicles. Any advice I give is for off road use only.
ichbinpao
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by ichbinpao »

Thanks Matt for your supports :yeah!: