New Microsquirter!! a few setup questions before purchasing

A general forum and a place for initial or prospective users. See Manuals/Documentation
Click here to enter
Contact a Forum Administrator
If unsure where to post, post in this sub-forum.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

zeroRYE
MS/Extra Newbie

New Microsquirter!! a few setup questions before purchasing

Post by zeroRYE »

Hello everyone!

Im new to the MS, well soon to be planning my order for This friday.

Just was looking for more confirmation on making sure Im choosing components that will work together as I have some concerns.
Im getting the MS3PRo for sure, needed a trans control as well so was going to do the GPIO with the 4l60E package. However in my manual for the MS3PRo I printed out it only states microsquirt as a CANbus possibility with the MS3PRO and not the GPIO. Can the GPIO communicate with the MS3 via CAN bus or must I get the microsquirt for this function?
Also getting stim packs, want to be able to bench test as Im currently programming a microcontroller to decode CANbus signals and drive stepper motors to retrofit my original gauges and need to dial in the inputs/outputs, does the MS3 Stim pack work on the MS3PRO? and If I have to run the Microsquirt instead of the Megashift GPIO is there a stim pack I can used in that setup?

Thanks all!!!
I look forward to posting my project as it gets further along, just researching as much as possible before dropping the money on it.
Motor is a 08 trailblazer 4.2l inline 6 in a classic chevy truck that orginally had an inline 6. No turbo or anything just good old NA power :P

Thanks again in advance. :)
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: New Microsquirter!! a few setup questions before purchas

Post by Matt Cramer »

Both the GPIO and MicroSquirt can communicate over CANBus; it's just that the GPIO is a bit more of a science project so we expect most MS3-Pro customers will go for the MicroSquirt.

You'd have to rig up a JimStim to MS3 Pro harness if you want to run it on a bench, but it can be done.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X