physical board sizes wanted

A general forum and a place for initial or prospective users. See Manuals/Documentation
Click here to enter
Contact a Forum Administrator
If unsure where to post, post in this sub-forum.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

Subaru_EA82_4EAT_AWD
Helpful MS/Extra'er

physical board sizes wanted

Post by Subaru_EA82_4EAT_AWD »

Hi, Im just wondering if someone could please give me the sizes of the :

V3.0/V3.57 main board -
MS3 Daughter Board -
MS3X Board -

I'm about to embark on a MS project and I want it in my OE case but I would like to know how creative I need to be, perhaps instead of stacking the boards, I can put them side-by-side.

Also, can the V3.0 or V3.57 and MS3X boards be ordered without the DB37 connector? As I will be wiring the ECU directly to the OE loom connector.

Thanks
Want a neat way to Check & Set Ignition timing AND CRANK the motor at the same time BY YOURSELF?
A little thing I made up... https://youtu.be/PajlPNF5mmQ
DaveEFI
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: physical board sizes wanted

Post by DaveEFI »

The DB 37 etc connectors are an industry standard type which you can buy near anywhere made by the millions so are pretty cheap. Something like a couple of dollars.

Have you counted the number of pins in your original ECU to be sure there are enough for an MS3 in your configuration?

It often seems at first it would be a good idea to fit MS guts into the original ECU case. But more recent factory ECUs are generally too small to make this easy or possible, using a V3 board, which is large as it was basically designed for through hole components. This MS is a series of building blocks to make it as versatile as possible. A factory ECU is machine made, so much more densely packed.

If you do decide to do this based on a V3 PCB MS, you'd get the best deal by buying a complete kit and discarding what you don't need, like the case etc. Which should sell on Ebay, etc.

But check out the many MS variants There are some plug and play ones for specific makes. The MicroSquirt is obviously much smaller.
Rover SD1 3.5 EFI
MS2 V3
EDIS
Tech Edge O2
London UK.
WestfieldMX5
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by WestfieldMX5 »

First hit in google tells me that the main board is 4"x6". I didn't bother looking for the other boards though.
2016 Westfield SEiW MX5 1.8 - 6sp - Torsen - MSM turbo - MS3 Pro - 2.3kg/hp
Paul_VR6
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Paul_VR6 »

If you are doing that, the ms3-pro module may be a better starting point.
-Paul
1992 Corrado SLC 3.6 VR6 11.38@120 - MS3 Pro Ultimate - Microsquirt I/O - Can EGT - Racepak IQ3s
kptuned.com - Megasquirting the World! Megasquirt Sales, Service, Tuning and More!
DaveEFI
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by DaveEFI »

WestfieldMX5 wrote:First hit in google tells me that the main board is 4"x6". I didn't bother looking for the other boards though.
Trivial job to work out from the many pics in the manual. Same with the V3 board.
Rover SD1 3.5 EFI
MS2 V3
EDIS
Tech Edge O2
London UK.
Laminar
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by Laminar »

Have you considered the DIY-PNP kits? They're designed to work with the factory ECU plug.

https://www.diyautotune.com/product/diy ... mbled-kit/
WestfieldMX5
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by WestfieldMX5 »

I also think your best option is the ms3 pro module. I've stuffed it inside a MX5 ecu using a self made 'motherboard'.
Last edited by WestfieldMX5 on Wed Feb 17, 2016 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2016 Westfield SEiW MX5 1.8 - 6sp - Torsen - MSM turbo - MS3 Pro - 2.3kg/hp
Subaru_EA82_4EAT_AWD
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Module is a lot more expensive though!

Surely someone has a set of boards handy they could measure?
Want a neat way to Check & Set Ignition timing AND CRANK the motor at the same time BY YOURSELF?
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

Subaru_EA82_4EAT_AWD wrote:Hi, Im just wondering if someone could please give me the sizes of the :

V3.0/V3.57 main board -
MS3 Daughter Board -
MS3X Board -

I'm about to embark on a MS project and I want it in my OE case but I would like to know how creative I need to be, perhaps instead of stacking the boards, I can put them side-by-side.
The main board is 6" x 4", and the MS3 daughterboard and MS3X are collectively intended to fit in the same footprint. The MS3 daughterboard is a little narrower than the 4" case, but not by much.
Also, can the V3.0 or V3.57 and MS3X boards be ordered without the DB37 connector? As I will be wiring the ECU directly to the OE loom connector.

Thanks
You can get a V3.0 kit and build it without the DB37 connector, but MS3X boards have this installed at the factory. Our assembled V3.57s need a DB37 connector installed so we can test them out prior to shipping.

Also, keep in mind that if you keep the DB37 connector on there, it will be easier for you to plug into a Stim for testing.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
Subaru_EA82_4EAT_AWD
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Thanks very much Matt Cramer, thats very helpful!
What is the vertical clearance requirement for each one? Im assuming the v3.57 would be less than the 3.0?

Also, is it 6x4 plus the comnectors or including?
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

6 x 4 is the PCB size itself.

Vertical clearance is about the same - about half an inch excluding MAP sensor. The tallest components are the connectors.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
Subaru_EA82_4EAT_AWD
Helpful MS/Extra'er

How about the size of the retail microsquirt? How tall would it be, from the mount to the minimum distance required to clear a connected loom, bent at 90'?
or can you get a 90' ampseal adapter?
or can you still buy the microsquirt in the older version case with the ampseal at the end, instead of the top?