new to megasquirt bmw m50

A general forum and a place for initial or prospective users. See Manuals/Documentation
Click here to enter
Contact a Forum Administrator
If unsure where to post, post in this sub-forum.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

turboe36
MS/Extra Newbie

new to megasquirt bmw m50

Post by turboe36 »

hey guy's i looking for some basic help on setting up my e36 with a 2.5 liter m50 engine. i bought an unassembled ms3 kit with xpander card. i hope to run sequential fuel and ignition, speed density and of course turbo it after i get the mega squirt setup and running. just wondering if anyone else out here has run ms3 on a bmw engine and if they can offer any advice, some things i still need to find out, calibration values for oe bmw sensors, i.e. coolant temp intake air temp. also anyone that may have a base tune just to get the engine running, from what i understand tunerstudio will be able to calculate the base v.e. table just based on engine size cc. and injector size cc. but what do i need for a base ignition timing table?
grom_e30
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: new to megasquirt bmw m50

Post by grom_e30 »

yeah there have been plenty of people running ms on that engine you coils are dumb 12v style so will no be able to fire those directly from the ecu you will need an ignition model like the quad spark to do the heavy lifting as the ms3x card only has logic level 5v out puts for ignition. the coolant temp calibration should be the same as the e30 325i temp senor its a default curve you can select from tuner studio. you will have a 60-2 crank wheel and i believe a vr sensor and i think the trigger angle should be 84. how are you planning to get the air temp is the sensor built in to the maf?
1990 bmw 320i daily driver with m20b25 ms3 sequential fuel, 380cc injectors, d585 coil near plug, home made cam sync, launch control, fan control, vss, homebrew egt logging what's next????
turboe36
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by turboe36 »

Thats awsome man thanks for the help! i was hoping to use the factory iat sensor that is on the bottom side of the intake manifold.
grom_e30
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by grom_e30 »

worse case scenario is you will need to measure the resistance of the sensor at 3 different temps and then you will have the calibration data you need.
1990 bmw 320i daily driver with m20b25 ms3 sequential fuel, 380cc injectors, d585 coil near plug, home made cam sync, launch control, fan control, vss, homebrew egt logging what's next????
turboe36
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by turboe36 »

care to share any more info on to what you mean for a logic level coil, stock m50 coil on plug will not be controllable via xpander card?
m3ltd0wn
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by m3ltd0wn »

you'll need external igniters to work with the BMW coils, or you could purchase a VR6 coilpack which has an internal igniter, and control it with the logic level drivers.
grom_e30
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by grom_e30 »

logic level coils have an ignition driver built in and take a 5v signal from the ecu to fire them, the m50 coils are dumb coils, they are fired by grounding the coil. you would need either external ignition drivers or coils that are logic driven.