Mounting location and EMI from fan

A general forum and a place for initial or prospective users. See Manuals/Documentation
Click here to enter
Contact a Forum Administrator
If unsure where to post, post in this sub-forum.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

tbaggins
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Mounting location and EMI from fan

Post by tbaggins »

Hi,

My stock ECU mounts in my passenger kick panel (2003 mustang). I am running the stock ECU in parallel with an MS3X. I found a nice spot in the glove box for it to live, and my DIYBOB will fit in the old ECU spot. The only problem is that the ECU will sit up against the motor to the heater/ac blower. Is the the EMF produced by the motor going to cause any issues with the stock ECU if I mount it there? The crankshaft/camshaft wires have a foil around them that terminates with the wire labeled "case ground" from the ecu. I wanted to check and see if anyone had an opinion on how effective a stock ECU case is at blocking EMF before going forward with it.

I'll take a picture tomorrow. I cannot place the ECU in its original spot due to the stock wiring harness restricting movement of the DIYBOB, the only other option is moving the DIYBOB to where a passengers feet might interfere with it (and running the wiring bundle behind the motor).

Thanks.
2003 Mustang 2V stock harness splice, MS3X v3.0 parallel install, full sequential, HPX MAF, Ford Ev6 47lb injectors, COP, custom 8 BIP373 box, E85 pump, teflon lined return style fuel system, 39 lb base fuel pressure, Twin Turbo @ 7lbs boost, Dual 4 port boost solenoids, Dual 14point7 widebands
tbaggins
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Re: Mounting location and EMI from fan

Post by tbaggins »

PIC of the mess
2003 Mustang 2V stock harness splice, MS3X v3.0 parallel install, full sequential, HPX MAF, Ford Ev6 47lb injectors, COP, custom 8 BIP373 box, E85 pump, teflon lined return style fuel system, 39 lb base fuel pressure, Twin Turbo @ 7lbs boost, Dual 4 port boost solenoids, Dual 14point7 widebands
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

Ground the case; it will act as a Faraday cage.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
tbaggins
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by tbaggins »

As I said in the post, the case of the stock ECU is grounded. That is what I was thinking, but I wanted to be sure.

Thanks for the help.