Newb from Santa Fe, New Mexico

A general forum and a place for initial or prospective users. See Manuals/Documentation
Click here to enter
Contact a Forum Administrator
If unsure where to post, post in this sub-forum.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

Joecrotch
MS/Extra Newbie

Newb from Santa Fe, New Mexico

Post by Joecrotch »

Hello all, just wanted to introduce myself as I am sure I will be popping in a lot. My name is Joe and I live just north of Santa Fe NM. I have been an E30 fanatic (as well as other cars) for a very long time. My degrees are in aviation airframe and power plant but later went back to school for automotive at UTI. Even though I spent the better part of a decade learning those I ended up in IT. I am the IT manager at a regional 911 Center here and maintain several systems.

This will be my 4th E30 build but first with any kind of engine management. My 2nd was turbo using a Bell RRFPR which was adequate at best. I do have some tuning knowledge from a Saab 9-5 I built and tuned using Trionic Suite specifically T5 Suite. I was able to get a good tune but as always there is room for improvement.

My goal for this car is to get my Microsquirt wired up and running then when that is as flawless as possible throw in a turbo to the mix. I feel tuning without a turbo first will give me the familiarity I need to move on to the next stage. My plan which is not complete yet is to either remove the entire stock harness and just wire in what I am going to use. second option is to make my own adapter to utilize as much of the stock harness as possible. I kind of like the first option better because it will allow for a cleaner install and give me more experience with the wiring. I do plan to run wasted spark although I am not entirely sure how yet. I did opt to not purchase quad spark because I would like to run coils with internal ignitors cutting down on separate failure points. Being that my car is a 325e It does not come from the factory with a toothed wheel for reference, they utilize a flywheel reference pin. So I will need to source one from a "I" model. My end picture is a moderately boosted 4 door "Gran Touring" type of car with all the modern creature comforts. Something that has enough power to power through the twisty mountain roads we have and to do it comfortably for long periods.

So that is me and my car in a nutshell. I hope I didn't ramble too much. Super excited to be here and be part of the community. Look forward to working with all of you.

Joe Crofts
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Newb from Santa Fe, New Mexico

Post by Matt Cramer »

Welcome! There's a lot of E30 MegaSquirt installations out there.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X