Ford OHC/Pinto Turbo

A general forum and a place for initial or prospective users. See Manuals/Documentation
Click here to enter
Contact a Forum Administrator
If unsure where to post, post in this sub-forum.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

theduck
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Ford OHC/Pinto Turbo

Post by theduck »

Hi, new to the forum as I am looking to use a microsquirt from trigger wheels to run the turbocharged 2.0 pinto in my kit car. It is currently setup using the standard sierra EFI equipment but I am keen to get some proper control over the fueling. I know the microsquirt doesnt have the built in map sensor so will use the external one that trigger wheels offer. I intend to run it as a distributor based set up, so the questions are, is there anything particular I need to be aware of for this type of setup, and does anyone have a suitable map I can use as a starting point?

I have been having a good read of the forum and did find a couple of threads that mentioned suitable maps but they were older threads and they files seemed to no longer be there.
Ford Pinto (Euro 4cyl 2.0l SOHC) with TF035 Turbocharger - Now powered by MS2 V3.0 running MS2/Extra 3.4.2.
theduck
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Re: Ford OHC/Pinto Turbo

Post by theduck »

Just to add some more to this, I have been reading the manuals, and gather that I wouldn't be able to use a microsquirt to control both the PWM idle control valve and do boost control duties, is that correct or have I missed something?
Ford Pinto (Euro 4cyl 2.0l SOHC) with TF035 Turbocharger - Now powered by MS2 V3.0 running MS2/Extra 3.4.2.
gtmdriver
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by gtmdriver »

Have you actually purchased the Microsquirt yet?

Looking at what you are trying to do you may be better off with the MS2 for the extra money.
theduck
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by theduck »

No, not bought it yet. Was attracted to the microsquirt because of the price. I take it that the MS2 will allow me to run boost control and the PWM idle valve?

Something that has confused me in the manuals, can i get either micro or mega to run with just the standard ford sensors without adding a trigger wheel, or is a trigger wheel required regardless?
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Post by jsmcortina »

Either ECU will work with the standard "TFI" distributor that came on the Sierra. You don't need to add a crank trigger wheel (although it does improve ignition accuracy.)

The TFI distributor only requires a single output to run it and leaves you with enough spare outputs on the Microsquirt to run PWM idle and boost.

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".
theduck
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by theduck »

Thats good to know James, thank you. Oh and thank you for writing the manuals! It was the table 3.7.1 Pins vs feature table that made me think it couldn't do both as it was only FIDLE that showed as being capable of PWM and Boost.
theduck
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by theduck »

I have enquired with a couple of the suppliers today and been recommended by one to go with ms2 and to add a trigger wheel and coil pack to run wasted spark. Total cost to do this including a wideband is coming it at a little over £600, which was a lot more than I really wanted to be spending right now.

Which leads to two more questions.

Would an ms2 setup for tfi need modifying to run trigger wheel and wasted spark as a future upgrade?

Could I achieve the same thing with a microsquirt and still have enough outputs for pwm idle control and boost control?