friends 1uz-fe lexus - ms3 - hotrod (uk)

A general forum and a place for initial or prospective users. See Manuals/Documentation
Click here to enter
Contact a Forum Administrator
If unsure where to post, post in this sub-forum.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

baz-r
Helpful MS/Extra'er

friends 1uz-fe lexus - ms3 - hotrod (uk)

Post by baz-r »

i have been asked by a friend to build, setup and possiblely tune his ms3 for a 4l v8 lexus/toyota 1uz-fe (without vvt) here in the uk to go in his 32 ford model A
the idea is to get it running and driving and then fit a supercharger from a late ford mustang as with any rodder a clean and simple "look" is very importent

now im used to working with europe 4cyl motors with ms2 and 3 and direct coil coil control mostly and talking about verious options seems to be giving him too meny choices

he has put a 36-1 trigger wheel in the motor in place of the orignal and got a edis8 with coils to match as thats what a ms1 v2.2 user in his hot rod club had told him to do but im unsure if the ford edis8 unit will work with the orignal lexus vr pickup? and im asuming as long as the bank angle is the same as a ford the edis8 unit shoud work with the 90 deg v8 lexus motor?

he still has the cars orignal twin dizzys,coils (2) and ignitors from the lexus ls400 so thease are a possiblity if the ms can drive the logic control for them?

other option would be to how i usually prefer and run trigger wheel with 4 intenal or extarnal bosch vb291 drivers or bosch module and wasted spark coils.

anyone have any good advice for working with this engine or input on ignition options above?
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Re: friends 1uz-fe lexus - ms3 - hotrod (uk)

Post by jsmcortina »

My first thought would be sticking to the OEM pickup and coils.

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".
baz-r
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by baz-r »

jsmcortina wrote:My first thought would be sticking to the OEM pickup and coils.

James
any idea if the lexus oem coil driver modules can be used? and what what needs to be done to control them?
prof315
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by prof315 »

jsmcortina wrote:My first thought would be sticking to the OEM pickup and coils.

James

I have done 4 1 UZ-FEs, 2 MS3/3X and 2 MS2. All of them use the OEM pickups On the MS2s I added a JBPerf dual VR board to condition the signals. Both MS2s are running stock coils but with 2 BIP373s instead of the failure prone stock ignition modules. The MS3s are using either LS or Toyota COPs.
Linfert Performance/321 Motorsports
SCCA 2019 SM National Champion Crew Chief
SCCA 2023 FP National Champion Tuner/electrical engineer
100s of MS systems built installed and tuned
Support the developers!