Acquiring additional wiring for looms

A general forum and a place for initial or prospective users. See Manuals/Documentation
Click here to enter
Contact a Forum Administrator
If unsure where to post, post in this sub-forum.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

jsdevel
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Acquiring additional wiring for looms

Post by jsdevel »

I bought a used MS2/v3.57 assembled with an 8' loom on craigslist. I'm thinking I may have enough left over wire for extra sensors etc., but in case I don't:
  1. Where are most forum users purchasing their wire from?
  2. Is it possible to have custom wire made with labels specific to my install? I.E. INJ1, INJ2, INJ3, INJ4?
dontz125
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Acquiring additional wiring for looms

Post by dontz125 »

I buy my wire from a guy on eBay, 4RCustoms. Multicolour striped, with a huge selection at about $0.38/ft.

Labelling in small batches is excruciatingly expensive - assuming you find someone to sell a small amount to you, they'll still charge you something close to a full run's worth (500-1000ft). DIYAutotune sells a 10' bundle of the MS1/2 wires, colourcoded with labels, for $46.
Temporarily shut down - back soon!
QuadraMAP Sensor Module -- PWM-to-Stepper Controller -- Dual Coil Driver
Coming soon: OctoMAP Sensor Module
TTR Ignition Systems
DaveEFI
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by DaveEFI »

There are loads of companies who sell cut lengths of cable in all sizes and colours in the UK - so I'd be surprised if there aren't even more in the US. Google for a vehicle wiring supplier?

You can do your own labelling. Print out the label on sticky backed paper. Or use a Dymo etc labeller. Then cover with clear heat shrink sleeving.
Rover SD1 3.5 EFI
MS2 V3
EDIS
Tech Edge O2
London UK.
whittlebeast
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by whittlebeast »

If you live in a large city, look for a crane repair company. The wire that is in the hanging control cable is 16 or 24 wire silicone 16 or 18 gauge. It is all color coded and you can often get the end of the spool that is too short to use on the next job. The place I found has all sorts of short pieces in their trucks, left over from repairs. You can sometimes talk them into the one that got the case cut and had to be replaced. Al you do is cut off the case. This stuff is about 1" dia covered in a tough case.

Andy