Newb Intro: 2.0 16V Mk2 VW Golf on MS2 v3.0

A general forum and a place for initial or prospective users. See Manuals/Documentation
Click here to enter
Contact a Forum Administrator
If unsure where to post, post in this sub-forum.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

xflowgolf
MS/Extra Newbie

Newb Intro: 2.0 16V Mk2 VW Golf on MS2 v3.0

Post by xflowgolf »

Hey, Nick V here from The Grand Rapids, Michigan area with my first venture into a Megasquirt setup.

Back in 2003, I drove down to Alabama from Michigan with my then girlfriend (now wife) to buy a very clean, rust free 1988 VW Golf GL I found on VWVortex. The car had been thoroughly swapped with mk3 pieces to make it a 2.0 ABA from a'94 Jetta, complete with mk3 subframes/brakes, and complete CE2 wiring/cluster/etc. I drove the car and thoroughly enjoyed it, but after graduating college in '05 I sold it to a friend of mine to move onto bigger/faster/newer things. Here it was in its prime gassing up before a trackday at Gingerman Raceway.

Anyways, it changed hands a few times, as used cars do, and eventually got driven into the ground. It popped up for sale, looking far worse for wear, with electrical problems, barely running, and consuming oil. It wasn't rotted though, and it was cheap. I made a lowball offer, and a decade later I had my old car back.

So, I set about overhauling the old Golf. I stumbled upon another friends abandoned project. He had an uncompleted 2.0 16V swapped in a beater '91 GTI, with an incomplete Megasquirt MS2 V3 setup that never ran. It had to move out of his parents barn, and it was cheap so I dragged it home as well. The thought was to take the good drivetrain from this car, and swap it into my roller. I yanked both motors, scrapped the beater GTI, and bolted in the 2.0 9a 16V into my '88 Golf GL.

So that's where I'm at. I went back through the MS board as if I was building it from scratch, and I've been reading/learning as I go. I plan to run it with stock distributor (hall sensor), and I picked up an Innovate LC2 wideband and gauge. I've relocated the battery to the hatch, and am routing all the engine bay wiring through the frame rail to keep the engine bay clear. My hope is to get everything mechanically working/routed, and then take it all back apart for paintwork next year. Engine is stock, but has a Techtonics header and full Eurosport exhaust. I've got a Bilstein/H&R suspension to bolt on the car with Hawk HP+ front pads on the 10.1" discs for track work. Currently making sense of the CE2 harness, and stripping out what I no longer need. Current status:

I've got lots of questions, and I'll ask what I can't figure out in due time.
Last edited by xflowgolf on Tue Jun 21, 2016 6:28 am, edited 2 times in total.
-Nick V
1988 VW Golf 2.0 16V 9a on MS2 v3.0
elutionsdesign
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Newb Intro: 2.0 16V Mk2 VW Golf on MS2 v3.0

Post by elutionsdesign »

Cool project!
Graduate of EFI University.

I build, repair, install and tune Megasquirt systems in North Dakota and beyond!