Solved..New user Possibly scrambled code

A general forum and a place for initial or prospective users. See Manuals/Documentation
Click here to enter
Contact a Forum Administrator
If unsure where to post, post in this sub-forum.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

Louie928
MS/Extra Newbie

Solved..New user Possibly scrambled code

Post by Louie928 »

2016-06-25_23.45.59.msq
I am a new user of Microsquirt I purchased assembled. I'm using Tuner Studio v2.6.14 registered. I found a Serial/USB converter that gave me communications. The Microsquirt Firmware is MSII Rev 3.83. I was setting calibration of sensors and got good writes to the controller. One setting gave me a message that Microsquirt needed reset for the setting to take effect. I shut MS power off and back on to do the reset. I then got a message that the write hadn't completed before I reset MS. Now, I cannot do anything with MS. Communications won't connect. Trying "Detect" won't return any message to choose for connections. Port test is failed. My MS is basically a black plastic brick. I figured I scrambled the code in flash memory.
Do I need to reload the code? I downloaded the code for ver 3.4.2, expanded the files and read the instructions. It all seems pretty straight forward. TunerStudio needs to be not running. I run the file "ms2loader_Win32.exe" and follow directions.
Question. Can the code files be on a memory stick rather than in the C:\windows\program files(x86)\efiAnalytics?
Do I need to ground the boot loader wire that comes from the MS plug while the code is loading, or leave it alone.
There is mention of .ini files depending on which version of MS I have, but I cannot find any .ini file associated with MS or TS.
msq file attached.

Thanks for any help or suggestions.

Louie
Last edited by Louie928 on Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
grom_e30
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: New user Possibly scrambled code

Post by grom_e30 »

may be an idea to try loading the lastest code, try to run the ms2loader and if it cannot find your ecu you may have to try the bootloader wire i have never had to use this option personally though.

you can unzip the firmware files wherever you want, but make sure you select the correct firmware variant ms2, microsquirt ect from the command prompt that runs. the ini file's will be included in the zip file
1990 bmw 320i daily driver with m20b25 ms3 sequential fuel, 380cc injectors, d585 coil near plug, home made cam sync, launch control, fan control, vss, homebrew egt logging what's next????
Louie928
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Louie928 »

Thank you for your reply. I've always been somewhat confused when it comes to choosing the correct hardware type for the firmware on this unit. The unit is a microsquirt, but seems to have the attributes of a megasquirt 2. It identified itself as a MSII Rev 3.83. Seems like even though it is in a Microsquirt box I should choose a Megasquirt2.ini file. The choices are: microsquirt, megasquirt2, microsquirt-module. Seems like I'd want megasquirt2. Does that make sense?
I've worked quite a lot with another ECU type "DTA" from the UK. Very nice unit. Stable, predictable, reliable.

Louie
grom_e30
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by grom_e30 »

is it the plastic cased microsquirt v3? if so flash the 'microsquirt cased' firmware and use the microsquirt ini file, i think the MSII Rev 3.83 is the b&g firmware,

the 3.4.2 you downloaded is the ms2extra firmware it has more features than the b&g code and has a larger user base for support this forum is specifically for the ms extra firmware's.
1990 bmw 320i daily driver with m20b25 ms3 sequential fuel, 380cc injectors, d585 coil near plug, home made cam sync, launch control, fan control, vss, homebrew egt logging what's next????
Louie928
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Louie928 »

The Microsquirt I have is this one. http://www.useasydocs.com/quickstart.htm
v3 like you say.
So, then the 3.4.2 firmware isn't the correct one to use? I'm in the wrong forum? Wrong church, wrong pew?
Could I use the 3.4.2 firmware, but choose microsquirt for the ini file?
Sorry to seem so dense with this. Too many similar items and different sources. Need an organizational, or flow, chart. :yeah!:
slow_hemi6
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by slow_hemi6 »

If you want to stick with what you have been doing. http://www.useasydocs.com/details/usv3code.htm
If you want to use the extra code it has more features but will seem a bit different with the tuner studio screens. You won't be able to load your msq and will have to set up a new configuration. Not really a big deal if you have only just started on the other one. Look this over and see what you think. http://www.msextra.com/doc/pdf/html/Meg ... p-3.4.html
Find the Manuals up top under Quick links: Manuals. :RTFM:
Cheers Luke
Louie928
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Louie928 »

Thanks so much. I think I'll stay with 3.4.2 and see what that looks like. I'll try it tomorrow and report back.
Louie928
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Louie928 »

The 3.4.2 code load into my microsquirt 3 went perfectly. I did need to ground the boot loader wire during the first part of the loading process. Communications was established without any fuss and the load only took a couple of minutes. Just follow the directions on the screen. Running with 3.4.2 under TunerStudio seems more stable too. Some of the TS screens are presented differently, but all very plain. Most of my settings transferred over as well. Probably from the .msq file.

Thanks very much. I'm moving forward again.

i wanted to donate some money, but didn't see how to do that for microsquirt help. Only for various megasquirt models.
grom_e30
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Solved..New user Possibly scrambled code

Post by grom_e30 »

the msextra donations at the top of the page covers it as its the same guys who develop the code the ecu's run on. glad you got it sorted btw