Jaguar V12 in a Street Rod

A general forum and a place for initial or prospective users. See Manuals/Documentation
Click here to enter
Contact a Forum Administrator
If unsure where to post, post in this sub-forum.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

BIG7001
MS/Extra Newbie

Jaguar V12 in a Street Rod

Post by BIG7001 »

Hi all

I have an 89 Jaguar V12 (HE) fitted in my Street Rod and am fed up with not being able to diagnose issues with the injection and ignition systems

On top of that, I've acquired a set of tuned manifolds and large throttle bodies

I am thinking about going down the Megasquirt route to give me a modern system, plus hopefully make the most of the tuning upgrades

I'd like to keep the existing fuel rail and injectors as it seems pointless to change them, but would like to get rid of both ECU's and the Distributor so a dual EDIS system or similar seems appropriate?

Has anyone here got experience of doing such an engine before, if so, Help!!

Baz
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Jaguar V12 in a Street Rod

Post by Matt Cramer »

There's a number of MegaSquirt options for these motors. One of our customers here in the Atlanta are (Ed Senf - he worked as the tuner for the factory Kia Forte road race effort) put an MS3-Pro on a Jaguar V12 in a speedboat.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
Marek
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by Marek »

Yes, there are a few people running Jag v12s using MS.

I am running a MS3/3X fully sequentially on the same engine. You should also take a look at Philip Lochner's MS2extra v12 cars.

Use the search function.

kind regards
Marek
BIG7001
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by BIG7001 »

Matt Cramer wrote:There's a number of MegaSquirt options for these motors. One of our customers here in the Atlanta are (Ed Senf - he worked as the tuner for the factory Kia Forte road race effort) put an MS3-Pro on a Jaguar V12 in a speedboat.
Thanks Matt
I have emailed your company and will follow up on the request for more details

Are you based near Atlanta?
If so, i should be there on business in September so might get a chance to visit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BIG7001
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by BIG7001 »

Marek wrote:Yes, there are a few people running Jag v12s using MS.

I am running a MS3/3X fully sequentially on the same engine. You should also take a look at Philip Lochner's MS2extra v12 cars.

Use the search function.

kind regards
Marek
That's encouraging Marek

I found Philip's site and have emailed him
Did you keep the factory injectors and throttle bodies?

Do you have any diagrams on photos that would give me an jnsight into how much i'm letting myself in for?

Cheers
Baz

Marek
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by Marek »

Dear Baz,

I am using the 1992-94 6litre fuel rail and low impedance injectors and standard 6litre manifolds. You can find pictures in the photo albums on the jag-lovers.org website.

Philip has converted several Jaguars and ran the same injectors and fuel rail as you in batch fired mode using the same throttle bodies and manifolds as were used at that time.

Ignition wise, I use wasted spark via 6x BIP373 and Ford coilpacks whilst Philip ran a twin 6cylinder EDIS with his Ford coilpacks.

kind regards
Marek
BIG7001
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by BIG7001 »

Marek wrote:Dear Baz,

I am using the 1992-94 6litre fuel rail and low impedance injectors and standard 6litre manifolds. You can find pictures in the photo albums on the jag-lovers.org website.

Philip has converted several Jaguars and ran the same injectors and fuel rail as you in batch fired mode using the same throttle bodies and manifolds as were used at that time.

Ignition wise, I use wasted spark via 6x BIP373 and Ford coilpacks whilst Philip ran a twin 6cylinder EDIS with his Ford coilpacks.

kind regards
Marek
Thanks Marek, i'll look it up

Did you do the conversion for power or reliability?
What are the results?

Baz

Marek
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by Marek »

Dear Baz,

I did it just because I thought it'd be an interesting thing to do. The car used to have carburettors, but now runs both petrol and lpg, which is half price.

You can see the results on the various web pages.

kind regards
Marek
DaveEFI
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by DaveEFI »

If it helps, there are lots of Rover V8s which originally had the Lucas/Bosch system which have been converted to MS. Like mine.
As regards reliability, mine has been just fine. And gets rid of the problem of hard to find and expensive spares, if needed.
In terms of performance, very little as regards maximum power. But a very worthwhile improvement at low to medium revs. And the old Lucas system seemed to have good and bad days. MS is consistent.
The other thing is no two engines with the Lucas system seemed the same. If yours was a good one, there may not be as big a difference as a bad one.
Rover SD1 3.5 EFI
MS2 V3
EDIS
Tech Edge O2
London UK.