Chevy Motorhome

A general forum and a place for initial or prospective users. See Manuals/Documentation
Click here to enter
Contact a Forum Administrator
If unsure where to post, post in this sub-forum.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

aligooduk
MS/Extra Newbie

Chevy Motorhome

Post by aligooduk »

Hi.

I have a Chevy G20 Motorhome. I have picked this up as a non runner and it has a lot of potential. I have had the engine running but struggle to keep it running for more than a few seconds. Forgive me as I am not experienced with ECUs and fuel management systems, I have replaced coil packs and sensors and given how hard these parts are to source, I am looking into Megasquirt as a solution and an opportunity to learn how it all works and have a completely new reliable system. I would really appreciate some advice on how to progress and determine which system i need and how to determine what requirements i need it to have.
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Chevy Motorhome

Post by Matt Cramer »

First questions:

1. What do you want to run for an ignition?

2. Do you want anything beyond fuel and ignition control?

Chevy V8s have a lot of options out there.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by billr »

I love Megasquirt, but for a stock-configuration motorhome, sticking with stock engine controls may be more practical. Certainly, any issues with coils, sensors, etc. must be addressed no matter what ECU you use; you won't eliminate much (any?) grief related to them. What year and engine is this? If you want help with the stock stuff, I suggest posting at <batauto.com>.
aligooduk
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by aligooduk »

Hi Billr. Its a 1995 454 big block,its got two injectors in the throttle body. Single coil pack. I totally see the sense in what your saying regarding sticking with the original setup. Although I do worry as the current ecu appears to have been made in very small numbers and has no footprint on the internet (rare). The vehicle has good mileage 45000 and I would like it last for many many years to come. I can't help but prefer the idea of a completely new ecu and ignition system that I (will) understand and modern components. For example the distributor appears to have specific sensors/electronics. Please forgive my inexperience but wouldn't fitting a megasquirt allow me to upgrade distributor, ignition, throttle body etc to more modern alternatives, simplify the whole system? Also i would have access to help, service and repair with the megasquirt. With the current ecu (if faulty now or if fails in future) i will have no replacement or servicing options.

AL
aligooduk
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by aligooduk »

Hi Matt
1 Do you refer to single coil pack / 8 coil pack setup with regards to ignition?
2 What other options are there for ECU control that may be relevant to this type of vehicle?

Thanks Al
billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by billr »

Replacing the "orphan" ECU can make sense, if your problem is with the ECU. I'm just suggesting no leap to MS (or any other aftermarket ECU) until you know the stock ECU is bad; that day may never come. If you do go for replacement, I further suggest retaining the stock TB, sensors, dizzy, coil, etc. MS can provide a signal to the stock ignition to control spark timing, no problem. "Modern" or not, the stock fuel/ignition components will be quite adequate for the relatively low-speed/performance you want with the motorhome. Another consideration in changing is the trans, no doubt that is also controlled by the stock ECU (PCM, actually).
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

aligooduk wrote:Hi Matt
1 Do you refer to single coil pack / 8 coil pack setup with regards to ignition?
2 What other options are there for ECU control that may be relevant to this type of vehicle?

Thanks Al
I was thinking more in terms of what specific parts you wanted to use - you've got a lot of different options.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X