ls2 coil behavior constant 5v signal (nonautomotive app)

A general forum and a place for initial or prospective users. See Manuals/Documentation
Click here to enter
Contact a Forum Administrator
If unsure where to post, post in this sub-forum.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

weeblebiker
Master MS/Extra'er

ls2 coil behavior constant 5v signal (nonautomotive app)

Post by weeblebiker »

I've read that the ls2 coil is self limiting to 8ms dwell, does this mean that a constant 5v input will cause the coil to fire every 8 milliseconds?? will its survive for short periods of time?
v2.2 box, ms2, dual wheel, sequential ignition, staged injection, boost control, maf
'87 VW scirocco, 2L16V, TD0-14T turbo, itbs
billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: ls2 coil behavior constant 5v signal (nonautomotive app

Post by billr »

I think it is more like 4.5 msec, but I also think it does not keep repeating; the input has to drop to "reset" the coil driver again. Using something like a simple LM555 timer would be easy to do. What is it you are trying to do here?
dontz125
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by dontz125 »

There are a few versions and variants of "LS2 coil"; I believe only the D585 truck coils that exhibit this behaviour. To my knowledge it hasn't been determined if the 'safety' cut is time-based or current-based; there does seem to be some fairly wide variation in observed time limits.

For any sort of repeatable and predictable service, I would have to agree with billr - use a timer.
Temporarily shut down - back soon!
QuadraMAP Sensor Module -- PWM-to-Stepper Controller -- Dual Coil Driver
Coming soon: OctoMAP Sensor Module
TTR Ignition Systems
weeblebiker
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by weeblebiker »

no worries.will a frequency generator set at 80 hertz square wave do it aok? should be abouts 6 milliseconds on time, right? I gots lots of toys at work to play with. working with a non truck ls2 coil. trying to charge a 0.17uF cap to 10Kv running off a 14.4v or 18v DeWalt battery. attempting to do a down and dirty proof of concept right now.

18v would require less on time maybe 120 hertz or 4 milliseconds on time?
v2.2 box, ms2, dual wheel, sequential ignition, staged injection, boost control, maf
'87 VW scirocco, 2L16V, TD0-14T turbo, itbs
billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by billr »

Either should work, but I would probably go for the 120 Hz, since output should be a bit higher.