Making sure i havnt missed anything!

A general forum and a place for initial or prospective users. See Manuals/Documentation
Click here to enter
Contact a Forum Administrator
If unsure where to post, post in this sub-forum.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

RandomDan
MS/Extra Newbie

Making sure i havnt missed anything!

Post by RandomDan »

Hello.

Im new to megasquirt but iv done a fair amount of reading now more than i have my entire life in fact.

Im looking to get a MS2 as it covers my needs and doesn't come with the added cost of the MS3 and its all about the budget!

So far this is what im looking to get from DIYAutoTune.com
Basic MS2 obviously
https://www.diyautotune.com/product/meg ... lack-case/
Simulator kit for testing
https://www.diyautotune.com/product/jim ... assembled/
D37 Pigtail Harness and a couple of spare plugs incase i want to make a whole loom.

Now the ECU is intended for use on a toyota starlet 4efe (non-turbo) with the possibility of turboing later once im all setup as the next project :D

I have found this page which runs through what is needed for a 4efte (turbo) which is very similar and answers alot of the questions i would have had.
http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34843

I do also intend to run sequential injection which i understand requires this
http://www.jbperf.com/sequential/#

Im not sure if i have high or low impedance injectors yet but i want to straighten out what i need from DIYautotune first then move on to the third parties.

Right i think thats everything.
Thanks for reading through if you made it this far and please let me know if im forgetting something obvious!
billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Making sure i havnt missed anything!

Post by billr »

Well, as always, I urge you to go MS3. The $106 difference between that and an MS2 kit is trivial in the over-all cost of a project like this; especially if it ends up being turbo-charged. There is nothing wrong with MS2, it is quite capable and well-supported, but the MS3 will be developed and supported for much longer into the future. You may not see the need for some of the extra MS3 features now, but I wouldn't preclude being able to use them this early in your adventure. If you already had an MS2 and were going to use it for a new install, I would say "sure, use it". But buying new? Save the money elsewhere. If you have confidence in your soldering, delete the JimStim and apply that money towards the MS3...
RandomDan
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by RandomDan »

I am pretty competent soldererer.
Its sort of what i do for a living but it will be my first time assembly this complex a PCB.
Im not will to ditch the simulator purely because i dont want to have too much issue if i do happen to make a mistake, im only human after all.

What are the realy world bonus's of the MS3 right now?
Im having a little trouble understanding all points.
I understand the resolution but beyond that im a little lost.
Its part of the reason i settled on the MS2 as i didnt understand the real world differences.

Im guessing the modifications id need to make are the same across both?
benckj
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by benckj »

How do you plan to tune the engine once installed?
I'd recommend installing a decent O2 sensor & gauge as this will help set up VE table and auto tune. You may also need a Serial to USB connector and registered copy of Tuner Studio. Can be bought later but best to be aware of additional costs regardless of which MS you go for.

Jim
Toyota MR2 98 3sgte
MSPNP2 with 3.57 mainboard
Innovate WB O2 & soon to be external GM 3 bar MAP
FTDI USB interface on SD Android 5.1 head unit
TD05SL2-18g with external WG
HKS EBC running 17psi boost.
A2W IC with WI 50/50 meth/water
RandomDan
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by RandomDan »

I plan to get an AFR sensor/gauge and use that instead of the O2 sensor.
I can get cables from work easy and the tuner studio im happy with.
Its not that i cant afford extra but im looking for the best price/benefit ratio.
billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by billr »

I was hoping somebody else would speak to the extra benefits of MS3, as I am not familiar with MS2; but here are some obvious ones:

1) IAC stepper driver (some people love steppers, some love them, this may not be important to you)

2) SD card data-logging

3) USB port for com with TS

4) Fairly easy access to 8 outputs for spark and 8 outputs for injectors; even easier if you splurge for the MS3X (either way, no mods to re-purpose LEDs as drivers)
dontz125
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by dontz125 »

RandomDan wrote:I plan to get an AFR sensor/gauge and use that instead of the O2 sensor.
An AFR sensor IS an O2 sensor.
billr wrote:1) IAC stepper driver (some people love steppers, some love them, this may not be important to you)

2) SD card data-logging

3) USB port for com with TS

4) Fairly easy access to 8 outputs for spark and 8 outputs for injectors; even easier if you splurge for the MS3X (either way, no mods to re-purpose LEDs as drivers)
Just commenting / kibbitzing:
1) The MS2 has the same stepper chip as the MS3. The -MicroSquirt- (MS2 chip in a reduced package) has no stepper.
2) Handy!
3) Some folks have reported issues with USB comms; it can be fragile in a noisy environment. Really good shielded cable helps, as does using serial cable for most of the length with a USB adaptor at the very end.
4) Handy for 6- and 8- cyl beasts, less so for 4-cyl. Of course, a 4+4 install on an MS2 doesn't leave much I/O left for other things!
Temporarily shut down - back soon!
QuadraMAP Sensor Module -- PWM-to-Stepper Controller -- Dual Coil Driver
Coming soon: OctoMAP Sensor Module
TTR Ignition Systems
RandomDan
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by RandomDan »

Is the MS3 capable of running sequential injection without additional hardware or do i still need to buy parts for that?

Information on it seems to be a little scarce i dont know if that because its too easy or just the same.

Part of me is hesitant simply because i cant seem to find as much info on the MS3 as easily as the MS2
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Post by jsmcortina »

MS3 with MS3X has a cam sensor input, eight fuel and eight logic spark outputs. No customising or add-ons are required for that.
http://www.msextra.com/product-range/tr ... asquirt-3/

MS2 requires a lot of customising to get four fuel and spark and a may need an add-on board for a cam input.

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".
jammy86
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by jammy86 »

The Stim is definitely worth having. I found it useful just to play with the ECU on the bench and understand how it is working and what changing values in TS did. Use a syringe to replicate vac/boost and you can see what the ECU is doing.

As mentioned a wideband 02. I use the AEM inline and found it to be good in both usage and cost. It doesn't have a gauge but I didn't want one.

Get and FTDI chipped RS232 to USB adapter as mentioned before.

Try to get some hardline vac tube with a 2-3mm internal bore - the larger the greater the filtering effect of the line. Then use short section of flexi to join the bits. I couldnt find anything that was high temperature so I settled on some PVC stuff only rated to 70degC. Ideally you want +130degC rating for engine bay components.

It's always nice to have extra capacity and longevity in the processor, but if you're engine doesn't need it then there isn't point in paying for it. I'm just about to move from an MS1 to an MS2 but I started this project ~8 years ago now. If I was doing it again tomorrow I'd go MS2 as most of the additional features of MS3 I just don't need and wont ever need on this car.