Got a 2004 Saab 9-3, no keys (Track car project) MS fix?

A general forum and a place for initial or prospective users. See Manuals/Documentation
Click here to enter
Contact a Forum Administrator
If unsure where to post, post in this sub-forum.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

b_schultz
MS/Extra Newbie

Got a 2004 Saab 9-3, no keys (Track car project) MS fix?

Post by b_schultz »

So I received a 2004 Saab 9-3 2.0 turbo for free from a family member I have no keys at all for the vehicle. Im an iron worker, was a mechanic for 5 so I have a decent amount of knowledge of vehicles, but my plan was to gut the car put in a cage and just keep it a simple weekend track toy. I have never used MS just AFC's but a standalone ecu seems to be my only option around the key situation. Advice on steps to take or kits to purchase?
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Got a 2004 Saab 9-3, no keys (Track car project) MS fix?

Post by Matt Cramer »

If you are just trying to get it back up and running, it might be a better option to call the dealer and ask them how much they charge to make a key if you present proof of ownership.

But if you want to turn up the boost and get as much power out of it as you can, or add onboard data logging or other things not easily done with the stock ECU, a MS may be just what you need.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
mattuuk81
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Re: Got a 2004 Saab 9-3, no keys (Track car project) MS fix?

Post by mattuuk81 »

As Matt says - to get it back up and running, perhaps try a Saab dealer with proof of ownership?

On a 2004 model, I'd expect Trionic 7 or 8 management, which is actually very sophisticated, but can be restrictive with regards to tuning the engine after a certain point.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trionic

The main difficulty I suppose will really be getting the immobiliser removed / unlocked, but to my knowledge, this has also been achieved on the Trionic ECU's. on the + side, retaining and tuning with the original ECU means that everything else is still OE and will work as originally designed.

Don't get me wrong - I'm not trying to talk you out of a MS ECU, it just may not be the best option for you.