14Point7 MegaSpartan, new Wideband with CAN bus for MS2/MS3

A general forum and a place for initial or prospective users. See Manuals/Documentation
Click here to enter
Contact a Forum Administrator
If unsure where to post, post in this sub-forum.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

toalan
Helpful MS/Extra'er

14Point7 MegaSpartan, new Wideband with CAN bus for MS2/MS3

Post by toalan »

If this is considered spam then I apologize, mods please remove this post.

I have been developing a wideband controller with CAN bus that is plug and play for MS2 and MS3 for the past 2 years, now the product is finally finished and ready for purchase.

http://www.14point7.com/products/megaspartan

You need to connect power + ground + CANH to MS + CANL to MS. Installation is very simple because you do not have to worry about finding the best ground points as ground offsets and noise is a non-issue since the unit communicates to MS over digital CAN bus. Configuration is very simple and just takes a few clicks in tuner studio, check out the manual here, https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0189/ ... 4079709731.

MegaSpartan supports up to 8 onboard lambda controllers, the price of MegaSpartan with a single onboard Lambda controller + LSU 4.9 sensor is $249 USD. The product is end user upgradable to add more lambda controllers, but that requires 5-10 minutes of soldering.

MegaSpartan uses all automotive qualified high-temperature components; -40C to +125C, aside from my Spartan 2 product; no other wideband controller on the market can boast that. The unit is backed up with a 2-year warranty.

For the month of September and October I have my "give 10 promo" running; do a review of MegaSpartan on 2 automotive forums and I will refund back to you 25% of the purchase price. The review only has to be honest, it can be positive or negative. With the 25% discount this works out to $187 for MegaSpartan with single onboard Lambda Controller + LSU 4.9 sensor.

In the near future MegaSpartan will also feature Lambda sensor temperature monitoring as well as exhaust back pressure compensation, those features are currently being finalized and will only take a firmware update (done over CAN bus using Tuner studio) to become available. In the case of exhaust back pressure compensation that will require the purchase of an exhaust back pressure sensor kit which will be available for purchase in the coming months.

Regards,

Alan To
whittlebeast
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: 14Point7 MegaSpartan, new Wideband with CAN bus for MS2/

Post by whittlebeast »

Can you post a big data log? I would love to see one of the multi channel logs.
Six_Shooter
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Six_Shooter »

Very cool...

So to add more sensors is there any additional hardware needed to be installed, like the iDash? (I looked in the documentation quickly and didn't see mention of it.
Tha Toy: 1973 Datsun 240Z Turbocharged, and loads of fun, now MS'd
Tha Otha Toy: 1923 T-bucket Hot Rod, Currently Sniper'd
Tha Daily: 2005 Chevy Blazer
Tha Summer Daily: 1987 Buick Skyhawk hatchback
Tha Long Term Project: 1985 GMC S-10 Jimmy, hasn't been fun for a while
toalan
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by toalan »

whittlebeast wrote:Can you post a big data log? I would love to see one of the multi channel logs.
I do not have a vehicle that runs MS, I can hookup a MegaSpartan with multiple lambda sensors in free air and log that with MS if that will help.
toalan
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by toalan »

Six_Shooter wrote:Very cool...

So to add more sensors is there any additional hardware needed to be installed, like the iDash? (I looked in the documentation quickly and didn't see mention of it.
I have not had the time to put into documenting and making the upgrade kits available yet. The kit for the upgrade will consist of; 1x 6 Position molex connector, 1x Spartan 2 OEM I2C module, 1x sensor cable, 1x Bosch LSU 4.9. You will have to solder the 6 pin molex to the MegaSpartan PCB, and you will have to solder the Spartan 2 OEM I2C to the MegaSpartan PCB via 0.1" pin headers.
Raymond_B
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Raymond_B »

What data are you sending over the CAN bus? Just A/F or anything else? I don't know what else there is to send (maybe sensor temp), but I am curious nonetheless :)
1995 Ford Lightning. Dart based 427 Windsor, Novi 2000, full sequential, E-85, etc. MS3X/v3.57
http://www.buildpics.org/
toalan
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by toalan »

Raymond_B wrote:What data are you sending over the CAN bus? Just A/F or anything else? I don't know what else there is to send (maybe sensor temp), but I am curious nonetheless :)
The data that is sent is Lambda and sensor temperature.
Rick Finsta
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by Rick Finsta »

OK, turnkey 8X 4.9s for $1200 is pretty cool.

Too bad I *just* built a TE 2Y2 so no way I can get another WB controller past the wife right now but man do I wish I had some extra I/O right now and CANBUS would do it.

Will these be available without the sensor? I'm lousy with LSU 4.9s right now.
whittlebeast
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by whittlebeast »

I would love to see what sort of response time 4 of these would have over CAN compared to my Dynojet coming in the o2 sensor 0-5 v feed.

http://www.nbs-stl.com/CRX/AE%20Testing.png

http://www.nbs-stl.com/CRX/CRX%20Thrott ... sponse.png

Andy
R100RT
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by R100RT »

Awesome Alan, and accurate as usual!
1983 BMW R100RT Motorbike
Turbocharged - Water/Meth
Sequential Ignition & Fuel
"Perky Sleeper" that excites bike enthusiasts once discovered (or being passed)
Newest project - 1995 BMW K75 is V3 Microsquirt, "Turbocharger - Of Course"
toalan
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by toalan »

Attached is a datalog from a customer that has both an innovate wideband between the turbo and cat (AFR5 in the datalog), and pre turbo individual cylinder AFR using MegaSpartan (AFR1 to AFR4 in the datalog). The innovate data is delivered digitally to MS using the innovate serial port and Jean Belanger's I/O Extender board over CAN Bus, the MegaSpartan data is delivered digitally to MS over CAN Bus.

The customer has not returned his engine yet using individual cylinder AFR data provided by MegaSpartan, I assume his MS is still using his innovate controller to run his engine.

You will not find a datalog anywhere else with so much high quality (digital) AFR data on a boosted engine.

You guys can download the log below
https://www.dropbox.com/s/50hqvo5c8rppi ... n.msl?dl=0
90sickfox
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by 90sickfox »

I'm interested in this. Correct me if I'm wrong....with Mega Spartan I could run 3 WB with temp, lambda, and ( in the future ) pressure compensation ?

My project is turbo MSPNP 2 and I want to run 3 sensors....each bank and one in the DP.
toalan
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by toalan »

90sickfox wrote:I'm interested in this. Correct me if I'm wrong....with Mega Spartan I could run 3 WB with temp, lambda, and ( in the future ) pressure compensation ?

My project is turbo MSPNP 2 and I want to run 3 sensors....each bank and one in the DP.
Yes, however right now with MS2 I only have documentation to run 2 WB sensors, I am working on more detailed documentation to support the full 8 on MS2. More than 2 on MS2 does not require a firmware update or anything, just documentation for the tunerstudio configuration is not written yet. For MS3 the full 8 WBs are supported right out of the box.
Raymond_B
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Raymond_B »

I am definitely picking one of these up, they are in stock correct?
1995 Ford Lightning. Dart based 427 Windsor, Novi 2000, full sequential, E-85, etc. MS3X/v3.57
http://www.buildpics.org/
nathaninwa
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by nathaninwa »

So does this system need a pressure compensation setup?
Volvo 940, 2jzge, MS3Pro, daily
240Z, 2JZ, MS3Pro boost control
toalan
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by toalan »

Raymond_B wrote:I am definitely picking one of these up, they are in stock correct?
Yes, they are in stock.
toalan
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by toalan »

nathaninwa wrote:So does this system need a pressure compensation setup?
Right now there is no pressure compensation, the firmware to take pressure compensation into account is not done yet. Hardware wise, there is an input for a pressure sensor, all that is needed is a pressure sensor and firmware update.
krisr
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by krisr »

Sending sensor state to the MS would be cool to knock the computer out of CL fuelling if the sensor died.
Sydney, Australia
1971 Holden Monaro HQ
MS3X Sequentially fuelled 400 Pontiac
retired
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by retired »

Alan,

I've only just come across this post/thread so apologies for late comments.
(also ignore my user name, I'm Rod S elsewhere but can't seem to get it changed on here)

The MSL log you referred out to seems very similar to what I, and Graham T have seen, in that there are a lot of "spikes" in the data.

The two of us are using the earlier SLC modules rather than the "megaspartan" and have the digital data routed as I2C through either Jean's latest T-IOx code or his earlier test IOx code.

We see the same random spikes, not just in AFR but especially in the LSU temperatures - not shown in your linked msl but we can see it in ours as Jean's code allows us to see it.

It seems a bit of a coincidence.

My initial thoughts were the external I2C link we use between the SLC-OEMs and Jean's IOx / T-IOx but, presumably your stand-alone product doesn't use any external I2C as it's all in one box (even though our external I2C is through BUS extenders) ???

The spikes we see are pretty random - just like the ones on the log you linked to - but so far we can't explain them.

Has the person whose log you linked also logged the LSU temperatures (can't find them in the link you posted but I'm used to MS2 and Jean's CAN data titles).

Rod S

EDIT - bit missed.
Classic Mini "A" series 5 port 1360 turbo
MS2-E fully sequential siamese code
14point7 SLC widebands, inner and outer cylinders and after turbo
digital AFR data and digital displays via Tiny-IOx
toalan
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by toalan »

Hi Rod,

Do you have a log you can email to me? Are you running your sensor on the high pressure side of the turbo?