Injector test bench.

A general forum and a place for initial or prospective users. See Manuals/Documentation
Click here to enter
Contact a Forum Administrator
If unsure where to post, post in this sub-forum.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

eMTea
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Injector test bench.

Post by eMTea »

Hi!

I'm thinking of building an injector test / cleaner bench.
To test and clean injectors for friends and other car guys.

If I measure the flow with my MS3X, it would be the same with a Haltech or other brands I guess, but how far off would the injector dead time be?
I don't expect a number, but would it be a useful value, or not accurate at all?

The injector provider often includes a datasheet with their injectors, and I guess those values are also measured with a driver who can have different electrical characteristics than other ECU providers.

Can a MS1, 2 or Micro unit test the unlinear small pulsewidths?
-MS3X, (V3 PCB) 1.2 RC 1 firmware. Controlling a light modified Audi 1.8TQ AEB 20v engine with Holset HE221W turbo, 299.4 HP and 400Nm at the hubs in Dynapack.
whittlebeast
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Injector test bench.

Post by whittlebeast »

I have a test bench but have never actually fired it up. I bet you could use a stock Subaru fuel rail to test a pair of injector at a time. All you need is an inline fuel pump and a fuel pressure regulator. Having a way to change the voltage to the injectors from about 10 volts to about 14.5 volts that supplies both the Squirt and the injectors may be the a bit more of a challenge.

James has a spread sheet floating around here somewhere that derives dead time.

Andy
eMTea
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by eMTea »

I have a plan of all the hardware and documentation.

I'm just wondering if the injector dead time will be useful for other ECU brands than MS, and if it's possible to use a MS1, 2 or Micro to test small pulsewidths, or if that is a MS3 feature only?
-MS3X, (V3 PCB) 1.2 RC 1 firmware. Controlling a light modified Audi 1.8TQ AEB 20v engine with Holset HE221W turbo, 299.4 HP and 400Nm at the hubs in Dynapack.
whittlebeast
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by whittlebeast »

Some other ECUs use different ways to develop a curve. Motec calls it Injector linearization table.

See http://help.injectordynamics.com/suppor ... 9-motec-m1

I never tried to get my head around it as Motec had an import table for the set of injectors I run.

As I recall, MS3 is best for doing this. There is a really cool test mode I use all the time setting up and verifying new installs.

Andy
eMTea
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by eMTea »

Yeah, I have MS3X in my car, and done the test on my Deka 630cc's, but checking, if I can use a cheaper MS1 for this test bench only, as a standalone unit.

If I need MS3, I'm just going to use my own car.
whittlebeast
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by whittlebeast »

I guess you could set the RPM to say 2000 RPM on a stim. set one of your gauges to PW. Next start pulling a vacuum until the PW stabilizes to say 2 ms and then apply power to the injectors for exactly 3 sec. Not sure how you would do that. Then set the MAP to whatever gets exactly 3ms and retest. Continue testing at each 1 ms step till you end up at 100 pct DC.

Andy
eMTea
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by eMTea »

MS has its own test mode built in, no need to reinvent the wheel
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Post by jsmcortina »

eMTea wrote:MS has its own test mode built in, no need to reinvent the wheel Image
MS2 and MS3 yes. There are no test modes in MS1.

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".
eMTea
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by eMTea »

Thanks James! But is ms2 able to test small pulsewidths / unlinear as ms3 do?
whittlebeast
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by whittlebeast »

I was thinking what was involved trying to do this with a MS1. It has been about 12 years since I messed with an MS1. I did a bunch of beta testing for Phil R on the fuel side of things in the old days.
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by racingmini_mtl »

eMTea wrote:Thanks James! But is ms2 able to test small pulsewidths / unlinear as ms3 do?
You can do the tests and computations for it on the MS2 but you won't be able to do the compensation when running with an MS2 since this is an MS3 feature.

Jean
jbperf.com Main site . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . jbperf.com Forum
eMTea
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by eMTea »

Ok! So I can do the actual unlinear area test an put it on paper, but I can not use it in the tune for an ms2 controlled engine?
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by racingmini_mtl »

eMTea wrote:Ok! So I can do the actual unlinear area test an put it on paper, but I can not use it in the tune for an ms2 controlled engine?
Correct.
jbperf.com Main site . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . jbperf.com Forum
eMTea
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by eMTea »

eMTea
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by eMTea »

One last question.

Will the deadtime measurement be far off when measured with a Microsquirt, and used on a MS3 X-card?
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Post by jsmcortina »

eMTea wrote:One last question.

Will the deadtime measurement be far off when measured with a Microsquirt, and used on a MS3 X-card?
They use the same injector driver transistor, so that should be fine.

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".
eMTea
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by eMTea »

Cool!