SR20 COP wiring

A general forum and a place for initial or prospective users. See Manuals/Documentation
Click here to enter
Contact a Forum Administrator
If unsure where to post, post in this sub-forum.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

xtimmyx
MS/Extra Newbie

SR20 COP wiring

Post by xtimmyx »

I'm half-way through COP converting my 4AGE running MS DIYPNP. However I'm a bit confused when it comes to wiring up my SR20 coil packs.

They have +, - and E clearly marked on them which I would interpret as power, ground and signal. However, when I hooked it up like that it instantly blew a fuse and I haven't tried again.

The colors of the wires in the factory harness seems a bit suspicious too with red going to -. white to + and black to E.

Also, on the factory harness all the black wires going into E were wired together, and so were the white + ones as well, whereas the red - ones had individual wires, leading me to think it's actually the - one being the signal?

Could someone please clarify. Thanks
elutionsdesign
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: SR20 COP wiring

Post by elutionsdesign »

I'm not familiar with these particular coils but there are many out there with a secondary ground, given your wire description I'd guess that's what these are. White is +12V, black to engine block or battery ground and red are the negative. You'll need a coil driver to run these, can't connect them directly to logic ignition out. DIY sells the QuadSpark which would work fine.
Graduate of EFI University.

I build, repair, install and tune Megasquirt systems in North Dakota and beyond!
DaveEFI
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by DaveEFI »

Did a Google on these, and all the schematics show numbers on the terminals rather than (+) and (-). Very confusing.
Rover SD1 3.5 EFI
MS2 V3
EDIS
Tech Edge O2
London UK.
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

SR20 coils require an external ignition module or BIP373.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
xtimmyx
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by xtimmyx »

I already have the BIP373s setup and hopefully the right mods to the board as well as the tune.

Hopefully it's only the wiring of the coils remaining.

When you refer to black as ground and red as negative do you mean the red is the "signal" wire and what should be hooked up to the BIP373s?

Cheers
elutionsdesign
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by elutionsdesign »

When you refer to black as ground and red as negative do you mean the red is the "signal" wire and what should be hooked up to the BIP373s?
Correct.
Graduate of EFI University.

I build, repair, install and tune Megasquirt systems in North Dakota and beyond!
xtimmyx
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by xtimmyx »

I tried that now and now fuses blown this time. :) Thanks!

However the car isn't starting so I'm guessing I've missed something. I've created a new thread for troubleshooting here if anyone has any ideas:
http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 94&t=64520