Troubleshooting COP Conversion

A general forum and a place for initial or prospective users. See Manuals/Documentation
Click here to enter
Contact a Forum Administrator
If unsure where to post, post in this sub-forum.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Troubleshooting COP Conversion

Post by Matt Cramer »

The later distributor or CAS wires up very differently. The NE signal goes to VR+ and VR- while the G sensors go to VR2 and SG.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
xtimmyx
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by xtimmyx »

Matt Cramer wrote:The later distributor or CAS wires up very differently. The NE signal goes to VR+ and VR- while the G sensors go to VR2 and SG.
Thanks!
So if I understand you correctly it's like this?

Ne+ -> VR+
G1+ -> VR2
G2+ -> SG (currently either A12 or B14?)
(NE- / G1- / G2-) -> VR-
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

You only use one G sensor. And if the G sensors and NE have a common ground, run it to VR-.
xtimmyx
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by xtimmyx »

Ok so I tried getting the MS to pick up a signal from the dizzy now by wiring NE to VR+, G1 to VR2 and the common ground to VR-.

I still have the dizzy loose in the trunk and run it off an power drill but I can't see anything in Tunerstudio indicating its picking up any signal. Should I expect to see an RPM reading when I turn the dizzy?

Thanks again guys for your help!
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

Try getting a composite log - it may not be getting an even enough signal to sync up.
xtimmyx
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by xtimmyx »

So I made some solid progress tonight. The issue turned out to be something that might’ve even been too obvious to suggest.

After hunting around on the forum and the manual I ended up pulling out the Opto jumper and soldered in a 51K resistor in R21 and now I get an rpm reading when bench testing the distributor with a power drill and I managed to get spark from it as well.

I didn't have time to install the distributor itself as I need to buy some connectors for it but I'm sure I'll be back with more dumb questions as soon as I have.
Thanks everyone!
xtimmyx
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by xtimmyx »

I'm so close now! (I think)

I've got spark from all 4 plugs, fuel (the spark plugs are very wet after cranking), compression (mostly), and I've set the timing fixed to 10 BTDC with a timing light.

However I can't seem to get it started. All I get is the occasional backfire through the exhaust and all of a sudden a massive bang (I've had to get ear muffs after nearly blowing my ears out the first time).

I've tried holding the throttle flat while cranking to ensure it's not flooded but It still wont fire up. I've also made sure to hook it up in fire order 1, 3, 4, 2 and confirmed this by cranking the engine with the plugs out of the engine.

What am I missing?
20161212_211334.jpg
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Post by jsmcortina »

Try temporarily setting "wasted COP" if that fixes it then add 360 to tooth#1 angle.

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".
xtimmyx
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by xtimmyx »

jsmcortina wrote:Try temporarily setting "wasted COP" if that fixes it then add 360 to tooth#1 angle.

James
Adding 360 to tooth#1 angle seemed to have done the trick! The car finally started yesterday though it did run rather rough. I'm yet to look into why that might be but I suspect the spark plugs aren't the happiest anymore. Only ran it for a short while as it was getting late but hopefully it should be all sorted now.

Thanks everyone for your help, couldn't have done it without you! :yeah!: