New user in S. Oregon

A general forum and a place for initial or prospective users. See Manuals/Documentation
Click here to enter
Contact a Forum Administrator
If unsure where to post, post in this sub-forum.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

Brandler
MS/Extra Newbie

New user in S. Oregon

Post by Brandler »

I have a custom engine build. First time. '74 350 SBC - bored .060 over - Scott 383 crank/rods - K.Black alum. 9-1comp. pistons - GM performance alum. heads, mild port, 2.10cc intakes, 78cc exhausts, 62cc chambers - comp.cams Wolverine "Blue Racer" hyd. roller, 310 lift, 292 duration - modified HEI distributor with MSD 6A ignition (not MS driven ignition*) - headers.
Intake is 1963 +/- Hillborn mech. with 1.75" ports. reworked with Denso 2432790 200cc/min. - 19# injectors fitted to inner port walls - outer (rocker side) original ports now run to collector box under fuel dist. box (center of manifold) and serve as MAP/vacuum input to MS2Extra release 3.3.3 ECU. My TunerStudio is MS v.3.0.14
This is run through a BW 6-speed manual to 3.08 diff. C-4 corvette IRS in a 1934 Ford pickup that's been morphed into a woodie station wagon. Expected weight when wood body is done will be just >3k#.

No Idle Control Valve - starts pretty easy and runs pretty smoothly at a high initial idle speed. As it warms up, the rpm increases. Exhaust smells very rich and has a little light white/grey smoke. Headers feel hot quickly (could be normal ....).

I'm a carpenter - that's why it's a woodie. Haven't done much mechanic-ing and this is my first large engine build - repaired a coupla VW mills years ago - so most of this EFI is over my head, but I do have a helpful EFI-knowledgable friend ~ who has not dealt with MS before.

I'm looking to get control of my idle and bring it down to <1k, then start working on load tuning etc. from there.
Last edited by Brandler on Tue Dec 06, 2016 5:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Brandler
MS/Extra Newbie

Re: New user in S. Oregon

Post by Brandler »

Adjusted ASE down and got a handle on the idle speed. Pulse width is red on my dash and I assume that is the reason for rich-smelling white exhause now even with the idle down to rough but reasonable. I can not find a way in TS to affect the pulse width ....
billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by billr »

So, which is it... 43# injectors as indicated in the text of your first post, or 19# as set in the MSQ?

I think some folks use ITB when it isn't really appropriate, but this sure looks like pure "ITB" to me. You might want to consider that instead of S-D.
Brandler
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Brandler »

Sorry - I believe they are 19# injectors. The line fuel pressure is 43#s - I'll fix that post.
Yes, definitely ~ eight of them throttle bodies. That setting got by me - thanks*

Currently reading up on pulse width ~ and for as yet unknown reason(s), the fuel pump is failing to make needed pressure now ... :| bbl.
Thanks for pointing out the algorithm setting, billr -
billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by billr »

Do you understand those 19# injectors will cause you to run out of fuel by about 4000rpm WOT? I suggest getting enough flow, either bigger injectors or higher fuel pressure, before investing too much time in tuning.
Brandler
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Brandler »

I've been going through the injector info on these, and they do seem small. Calculators point to 29#/30#. The retrofitter is an experienced custom fi builder (Fox Engineering in N.C.) ~ I'm wondering if the Squirts Per Engine Cycle (1) were increased to 2 - would that supply enough fuel?
prof315
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by prof315 »

Brandler wrote:I've been going through the injector info on these, and they do seem small. Calculators point to 29#/30#. The retrofitter is an experienced custom fi builder (Fox Engineering in N.C.) ~ I'm wondering if the Squirts Per Engine Cycle (1) were increased to 2 - would that supply enough fuel?

No it won't. In fact the doubled dead time will REDUCE the amount of fuel you can flow. Figure out a reasonable potential horsepower estimate based on displacement, cam profile and redline and run the calculations to get injector size and buy the correct injectors. Lots of sources for decent ones out there and they can be found for reasonable prices especially when 40#/hr and smaller.
Linfert Performance/321 Motorsports
SCCA 2019 SM National Champion Crew Chief
SCCA 2023 FP National Champion Tuner/electrical engineer
100s of MS systems built installed and tuned
Support the developers!
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Post by jsmcortina »

There's an injector table size in the manual
http://www.msextra.com/doc/pdf/html/MS2 ... .4-51.html
James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".